CHAPTER 38

Peter POV

I was on cloud nine. I’d never used that expression before, but I finally understood it. Well, sort of. I didn’t quite understand why it was the ninth cloud, but I certainly felt like I was up in the heavens as I woke up for the second day in a row with Jane in my arms.

I had her. I finally had her.

Not only that, but my brother was safe and happy. And, best of all, I could finally eliminate the pest that was Amanda White for good. Now that I knew that she had no other evidence on my brother, that meant that I could threaten her freely and fully, and with the best use of the creativity and business acumen I possessed. It was going to be a glorious day.

“Good morning,” I murmured to the sleeping beauty next to mine.

She let out a fake snore. “I’m asleep. Don’t wake me.”

I chuckled. “You have to get up. We have work to do.”

“You have work to do,” she said. “I’m on a flex day.”

I chuckled pulling her body closer to mine. Her skin felt like silk as it brushed across me. I reveled in it. “I didn’t mean work work,” I said. “I was wondering if you could arrange a meeting with Amanda today.”

Jane tensed. She was awake now. “Why?” she asked.

I stroked her arm, kissing the top of her head. “I have some business to discuss with her. I think you know of the variety.”

Jane was silent. When she spoke next, her voice was quiet. “Are you going to hurt her?”

I laughed. “Hurt her? What must you think of me, Jane?”

She pressed against my chest to look up at me. Though her hair was a mess on top of her head, and her eyes were sleepy and half-closed, she was the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen.

“I think that you’re ruthless about getting what you want, and you don’t take well to people who have crossed you,” she said.

I shrugged, impressed. “You’re not wrong there.”

“Then my question still remains.”

I pressed her head back down to my chest and stroked her hair. “You don’t want me to hurt her?”

She shook her head. “She’s not a good person, but I don’t want you to get in any sort of trouble.”

I let out a bark of laughter, hugging Jane tighter. “You’re more worried about me getting in trouble than you are me harming another person?”

“I don’t give a shit about her,” Jane said darkly. “She nearly lost me you. All I care about is you.”

My heart warmed at her declaration. She truly was mine.

“I promise I won’t harm her,” I said. “Remember that I left her alone before because I thought she would get the company in trouble. I won’t do anything to risk damaging my business.”

“Good,” Jane murmured. “But go back to sleep. We can figure this out later.”

I began to rise from the bed, and she desperately grappled for the sheets as I pulled her with me. “No!” she cried. “I was so comfortable!”

“Look at it this way,” I said, placing the struggling woman on her feet. “At least you’re not having sleeping problems anymore.”

She glared up at me. “You’re quite the little jokester in the morning,” she remarked darkly, crossing her arms across her chest. I kissed her forehead, pulling her in to nestle against my chest. Having her in my arms still filled me with pride. It made me feel something else as well.