CHAPTER 11

Jane POV

So far my plan to stay away from Peter was going horribly. I had been sitting at the bar with Georgiana, his assistant, earlier in the evening. She was, by far, the nicest person I had encountered in the office, and we'd been having a good chat. Then, all of the sudden, she had leapt off her barstool and practically jogged over to the front entrance.

I turned to see that Peter had just walked in with another man, who was also very attractive. He looked to be slightly younger than Peter, and from the resemblance I would have guessed that he was Peter's brother.

When I saw the way that Georgiana devoted her attention to the stranger I knew right away that, whomever he was, she was smitten with him. Though she didn't show any sign of coming back over any time soon, I waited. I had been very close to getting some information out of her about Amanda. At least, it had seemed like I was. Either way, she'd been more responsive so far than anyone else had.

Then Peter had walked up to the bar, looking too fine for words to describe, and had caught me staring at him longingly. I couldn't help it. He had dressed down from his normal three-piece into a more casual suit, but it was just as fitted and enticing as all of his other clothes.

When he had walked down and sat beside from me, I had a hard time remembering that I wasn't supposed to sleep with him. I'd already had a couple of drinks with Georgiana, and I was certainly feeling it.

When I got drunk, I got cocky. It was an absolutely enigmatic part of my personality. Most days I couldn't string together a coherent sentence if anybody did anything that made me remotely nervous. I had to practice for job interviews beforehand to make sure that I didn't screw it up by losing my tongue. Yet when I was drunk, I suddenly became a font of snark and sass.

I wasn't completely drunk yet, so I didn't make an ass out of myself, but I certainly wasn't as polite and deferential as I ought to have been. I was trying to keep things professional, and it wouldn't do for me to start openly flirting with my boss just because I'd had two gin and sodas and suddenly thought I was Marilyn Monroe.

I exited that scenario as soon as I was able to drag myself away. That was considerably difficult, considering the man with the very expensive watch sitting next to me had smelled amazing up close. It had taken everything in me not to lean in and inhale his aroma—a little bit of mint, some spice, and something else that was all his own.

After I made my escape, I went into the bathroom and washed my hands. Sometimes, when I needed to clear my head, I would just wash my hands. It was like I was washing away all my extraneous thoughts.

Unfortunately, washing my hands didn't do the trick. I repeated the mantra in my head again: Don't sleep with your boss. Don't sleep with your boss. Don't sleep with your boss.

That didn't help either. What did it not help, you ask? The warm throbbing in my core that had started up the moment he put his hand on my chin.

I sighed and exited the bathroom, figuring that I wasn't going to get anywhere staying in there all night.