CHAPTER 21

Jane POV

After lunch, I checked to see if that mystery person had emailed me back, but apparently they had realized I wasn't interested in playing their little game. Good.

I dove into my work for the rest of the day, trying not to think about Peter Bricks and his insane proposal. Could it even be called a proposal? Whatever it was, it was tempting as hell and thus frustrating as hell too. Life would have been so much easier if I wasn't so drawn to him.

His shadowy answer about the nature of Amanda's dismissal had done little to soothe my suspicion. It had only really misplaced it. Instead of being suspicious of Peter, I was now curious about what Amanda White had done that had caused her to be fired so abruptly.

I couldn't help it. I was a snoop.

Nevertheless, at least I could feel more comfortable about working at Bricks Industries now. I could have chosen not to believe Peter, but that would be giving in to my less rational side. I needed to be rational.

At the end of the day, I slung my purse over my shoulder and headed out the parking lot, saying my goodbyes to everyone. Exactly as I reached my car, I had a text message from an unknown number.

My heart raced. Was it the mystery emailer? Had they somehow gotten a hold of my phone number too? God, did I have a stalker?

I tapped on the screen to read the message.

Come over for dinner tonight? It's a work thing. -Peter

Hmm. I texted back.

What kind of work thing?

Two seconds later I got a response.

Teaching my brother about the business while going through some contracts. Georgiana's here. Promise it's safe.

I suppressed a smile. He was cheeky.

What exactly would you need me for?

We both knew I wouldn't be going over there for anything remotely work related. Otherwise I'd be making him pay me. Still, the flirting was nice.

Need help communicating.

I chuckled. My relief at finding out that I hadn't been correct about Amanda influenced me to accept his invitation. I got his address, and told him I'd be there in five.

I actually found that I was a little excited.

 ~

  Peter's apartment was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen in my life. I honestly could not believe that somebody I knew lived somewhere like that. It was like the cover of an interior design magazine.

Obviously, I shouldn't have had a problem believing that someone would live there because Peter had tons of money and never pretended otherwise, but still.

When I entered the apartment, my heels clicking against the hardwood floor, Peter greeted me. I could see Georgiana and Dane on the couch, controllers in their hands, playing some sort of racing game.

"Looks very much like a work meeting," I commented dryly.

Peter grinned sheepishly. "I swear we were doing some earlier. I didn't want to be the third wheel." Whether they'd actually been doing work earlier or not, the only thing work-related about the current situation was that my boss and his assistant were there. Still, it wasn't hard for me to decide to stay. I was getting so tired of fighting the attraction I had to Peter, both physically and emotionally. It was time for me to relax a little.