CHAPTER 27

Peter POV

You go away on business for one weekend, it seemed, and your whole operation went to shit.

Not my business, thankfully. I had dedicated and competent staff who ensured that wouldn't occur in my absence. Everything was going great on the business side of my life. It was the personal side that was being particularly troublesome.

First, when I got into work in the morning I found Georgiana sulking around my office. That was a sight I was all too familiar with. As I watched her shred every document in her recycling bin, even the spam faxes we received occasionally, I knew that something had happened between her and my idiot brother, Dane. Since she'd been in love with him for three years now, and they had seemed pretty cozy before I kicked them out of my apartment on Friday, I suspected the worst.

I was going to kill Dane. He could not keep it in his pants for even a second. Though I wondered what had happened, I didn’t want to ask Georgiana. I wasn't sure I could handle seeing her cry.

I liked to pretend my interest in Georgiana's feelings was strictly professional—she was a great assistant when she wasn't staring mournfully at the shredder for minutes on end—but I felt protective of her. She was a good friend. And Dane had probably fucked it up the same time he fucked her.

I was going to kill him.

I also hadn't heard from Jane all weekend after our extremely hot night before I left. Something had seemed off with her before she left abruptly, but I was too busy with meetings to dwell on it, and I figured that a personal conversation would yield better results than a text.

Leaving my office to go chat to Jane, I gave a sidelong glance to Georgiana, who was now watering her ivy plant one tiny droplet at a time. Christ. Was I the only one who could keep it together around here?

I said hi to all the people I passed on my way to Jane's office, but I didn't stay to talk as I normally might. I needed something good to come out of today, and if I could get Jane back to my apartment that evening, and back into my bed, then I'd feel at least a little bit productive.

Her door was closed, and when I knocked and entered she gave a bit of a start. Her green eyes were wide, and a piece of her auburn hair slid forward across her eyes from where she’d been raking it back from her face.

"Peter," she said. "Uh, come in."

The humor of being invited in when I owned the whole building was never lost on me. I smiled as I walked in and closed the door behind me. The look on her face grew ever more nervous.

"I didn't hear from you at all this weekend," I said. "I had expected you might text me at least, after the way we left things on Friday."

Jane took a breath, exhaling through her nose, as she turned to look back at her computer. "I didn't think there was anything to say. It was a satisfactory meeting."

A satisfactory meeting? Was she playing with me? I had never been called merely satisfactory in my life.

"I think we need to do a follow-up debriefing," I said, smiling. If she was playing coy, that was a game I could play.

But she wasn't. That much was clear when she refused to meet my eyes. "I think that all of the main points were covered. If you have anything else to add, have your assistant pass along the details."

My jaw ticked, but I knew better than to continue trying to pursue this at work. Whatever I was, I was a professional first. Well, maybe second. But I certainly wasn't going to crowd her in her own office to get the answers I wanted in regards to her strange behavior.

"Fine," I said. "You'll hear from me later then."

I studied her face, even as the bottom half was hidden behind her monitor. I could see from the tops of her cheeks that she must have been chewing her lip or something. That was the kind of nervous and cute gesture from Jane that was a surefire way to cause my cock to harden. I wanted to pull her up from her chair and please her until she begged me to fuck her and promised that she would never play games with me again.

But I couldn't.

So I left. I gave her my best disapproving stare before I did, but I doubt she saw it. What could have possibly happened in the time I was gone to cause her to turn on me so abruptly? It was infuriating.

I'd get her alone, outside of work, and I'd find out.