CHAPTER 14

Jane POV

Even as foggy as my head was, I could still see the flashing red light and hear the alarm bells that told me to get the hell out now before I made a mistake.

His lips were so close to mine, his face merely inches away. I could smell him, and my body urged me to see if he tasted as good as he smelled. So close.

Then he drew back, chuckling, and I pouted. "Don't do that," I said. "It's not polite."

His blue eyes sought out mine. "You're a curiosity," he said.

"Pfft," I replied. "I'm about as much as a curiosity as a raccoon in a zoo. You're the one who's the mystery."

The look of amusement on his face grew, and he leaned back on the couch. I didn't love that, because it meant he was further away from me, but I figured it was for the best. I leaned back too, until we were both reclined, with our heads turned to look at each other.

"Tell me, Jane," he purred. "What's got you so curious about me?"

I snorted. "Are you kidding? You mean besides the fact that you're rich and interesting and stupidly handsome and somehow in my apartment?"

"Yes, besides that."

"I think—" That was when my rationality kicked in and stopped me. I had just been about to spill my theory to him—that he'd fired Amanda White because of a relationship gone wrong. But I couldn't do that. I'd be the next on chopping block!

And I couldn't do this—whatever it was we were doing—either. I had to get him out.

"I think it's time for you to go."

If I had fazed him, his expression didn't show it. "Are you having impolite thoughts, Jane?" His grin grew as my face reddened. "Are you worried that you'll be fired if you tell me what fantasies are playing in your head?"

His words sparked such a lustful flame within me that, for a moment, I was weak. I forgot everything about not sleeping with my boss, about my suspicions about him—everything. All I could feel was a great burning need that only he could quench.

I leaned over, feeling very bold, and pressed my lips against his.

As I had expected—or, rather, hoped—he pulled me into his lap and kissed me back. What I hadn't expected was for it to be so brief. I hadn't expected him to push me away.

When he did, I sat back, stunned.

"It's time for me to go," he said, sounding somewhat unenthusiastic about it. He stood before I had a chance to say anything, and was halfway to the door before I even had enough wits about me to stand up and follow him.

I caught him at the doorway. "You're going?"

"Yes."

"After all that?" I asked. "Why?"

Peter looked down at me and took my face in his hands. "First question was free," he said. "Now I want a little quid pro quo."

"You're charging me for answers now?"

"I'm a businessman," he said, grinning.

I sighed. "Fine, what's your question?"

"I want an honest answer for this," he said. "And you have my guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you for answering honestly."

I nodded. He released my face, and my skin tingled where he had touched me.

"What was it that you stopped yourself from saying earlier?"

I answered unflinchingly. "I think you and Amanda White had an affair, and that that's the reason you fired her."