Hide and Seek (ch. 22)

I struggled against the intruder, and jammed my elbow into their stomach near their diaphragm only to hear a familiar voice, "Ow! Helen, where'd you learn that?"

"Of course, it was your Aunt Francis who taught me." I turned around quickly to assess the situation I'd left Ciel in. He was hunched over slightly with a hand on the wall and the other on his stomach. "Figures a woman like you would throw such a mean hit." I frowned, reconsidering if I should have hit harder. "I should try it again. It seems my assaulter is still able to speak." I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms.

He chuckled and nodded, "Alright, I deserved that. How could I ever ruin a lady's hair." I quickly brought my hands up to fix my hair that was sure to look weird now. I could feel some curls starting to fall

I looked around on both sides of the dark hall, "Where's Elizabeth? Usually you and Elizabeth hide together somewhere in a different section."

"Elizabeth and I?" He repeated to himself, "Yeah, I always had the greatest hiding spots. No one except Sebastian could find me." I rolled my eyes but a smile found it's way to my lips. "I'm leaving."

"Well, I'm coming with."

I looked over my shoulder, a little surprised, "Why? It's a game, if one of us gets caught so will the other." He shrugged, "I'm not in it for the game." I stared at him for a little longer before I shook my head and turned back around to hunt for my favorite hiding spot. It would be a much smaller space since I had grown, but still, there would be plenty of room for me.

Hearing something shake at the end of the dark hall, I took a silent breath and darted into the nearest room. It was much too early in the game for me to lose. Not to Henry.

I had grabbed Ciel's sleeve and dragged him with me. It was a guest bedroom. Fortunately and unfortunately, the next room over was west wing library. We could have had a great hiding spot there however it would be a great room for Henry to explore which would buy us time to find a place to hide.

"You heard that too?" Ciel asked, holding my arm. I doubt he noticed how he held me but my heart skipped a beat. "Yeah," I whispered back, already scanning the room for places to hide. It was fairly easy since the windows were open. The full moon flooded in and lit the place up. I pointed over to the blinds, "Help me close these. It'll be darker."

"May Rin  should have already closed these." Ciel noted. We drew them close as quietly as we could and I stumbled over to the bed. "I would cut her some slack. There are several rooms in this grand manor of ours."

He was quiet for such a long time I almost was afraid I was actually alone. "Helen, I apologize for this afternoon. I shouldn't have pushed your buttons."

I gripped the soft material of the duvet, not feeling sure of what exactly to say to him, "Ciel..." "I should have been more sympathetic since I do realize your frustration about not knowing but it a decision that I believe is best for you. Not for Aaron or anyone else. If it wasn't so, I wouldn't have chosen it so I need you to trust me."

I moved forward in the darkness to find him but I ran into him instead, "Of course I trust you, Ciel." I said, feeling much better about being in the dark both physically and hypothetically. I moved away after feeling him tense at my unexpected contact. A thud was heard in the hall right outside the room.

"Hurry." Ciel hissed quietly and grabbed my hand in the dark. He pulled me in the direction of the bed before I lost him in the dark and fell on top of him. "Quickly use those pillows to cover us." He said.

I moved as he asked me to and covered us as quickly as I could. I found myself laying on his back, holding his shoulders. "You know this is entirely scandalous!" I chided Ciel but my heart was racing. He didn't look at me, only hushed me. "What would happen if Lizzy were to find us?" Ciel sighed silently, and shifted a little, "well you hid us well right?"