Bedridden (ch. 19)

When I woke, I felt a sense of loneliness. Turning around in bed, I could hardly breath due to fire that ran throughout my skin. The fever had escalated into a much worse state than I had anticipated. But I supposed Ciel knew that it was expected to come.

After several minutes of drawing will-power, I tried to sit up and ring the bell for Sebastian, but as soon as I reached out for it, the bell felt a million miles away. Finally coming to the serious conclusion that I had to grab and ring the bell for Sebastian to notice that I was awake, I reached over to the bell and lifted it. But my head felt so disoriented, I didn't realize I was so much weaker than I thought I was.

My grip wasn't even what one could consider a grasp, and my arm shook. I felt cold but my blankets were hot. I shivered but the heat killed me. I dropped the bell on the ground, the sharp touch of cold metal sent a shock up and down my arm.

There was a knock. "My lady. May I come in?" Sebastian asked. I hardly had the energy to answer and my body felt entirely lethargic. "Please." was all I could muster.

"Well, it seems your fever has gotten worse." Sebastian pointed out the obvious as he walked in with a meal which I had no appetite for. I didn't feel hungry and nor did I want anything warm or cold or hot or filling or light. I just felt tired.

I managed a small nod and my body relaxed against the back of the pillows. He came over and checked my temperature with his large slender hand. I frowned, unable to smell or hear correctly.

"You must sit up and eat." Sebastian demanded. I shook my head, "I'm in no mood for a meal." Sebastian, however parked his cart and unveiled his unwanted cooking. "However your mood may be, your body is in need of nutrients, Lady Helen."

"Sebastian. I said I was fine." I rolled over to physically prove that I didn't desire food of any nutrient. "Lady Helen, is it necessary that I spoon feed you like a child?" I brought the blankets up weakly to cover my mouth, "It is not necessary since I do not need it."

"Want or need, Helen?" He asked. I stayed silent, unwilling to answer him. "Just a minute, my Lady. I think I know what may help with this situation." I still didn't answer him, but after a couple seconds of silence, I turned around and frowned, he was gone, but the cart of food was still here. Where did he go? Was he going to get medicine? Dear God, not medicine.

Wrapping myself up, I heard someone coming back into the room. "Sebastian, I'm not taking that godforsaken vial of poison you call medicine. It's not going to happen!" Turning around and flipping the covers off of me, I realized that this person was not as tall as Sebastian. "Ciel?" I asked.

"Sebastian tells me you're not eating your food." He explained his presence. I coughed, unable to return him an answer. "Did Sebastian also mention I wasn't hungry?" I finally retorted, sitting up. Ciel walked over to the cart and took a rag and dunked the cloth back in cold water before wringing it out. He brought it over and wiped my face, "You need it, Helen. I know how to treat my own fevers."

Unable to really resist his request, I frowned, not able to say anything. I let him wipe down the sweat from my neck and forehead. "But-" I started, but Ciel took the spoon and bowl, "Do I need to force feed you?" I stayed quiet as he brought the spoon closer to me. Ciel was planning on force feeding me if I didn't plan on feeding myself. What a ridiculous thought.

Rolling my eyes up to the ceiling, I took the bowl from him. "Fine." I coughed out, "I'll eat." I sighed out, it was hard to breath. "Thank you." Ciel said, letting me take the spoon and bowl. "So," I started, "How are our guests?" Ciel sat close next to me. Thinking to himself a little, he looked at the bed spread, not making eye contact with me, "Well, Lizzy is in bed already. She's exhausted after playing with Henry. Aaron, he came in to check on you many times."