Caged like an Animal (ch. 10)

My consciousness wavered in and out.

"She couldn't handle it, she's just too weak." Madam Red said.

And another time I heard, "Why are you so interested in the girl? Shall I take a slice and see?" It was Grell's voice.

At one point I heard Grell screaming rubbish about his face and another time when the blades of the chainsaw deafened my ears and the vibrations shook my body.

Another when I saw Madam Red lying on the ground as Ciel sat next to her.

Another time when I saw a man in a suit up on the roof, holding a hedge pruner of all things as if the night hadn't turned weird enough.

The next thing I surface up to is to find Jonathan carrying me.

"Jonathan, you have explaining to do." I muttered weakly, using my will to wake myself.

He looked down and said, "Oh, my lady, you're awake. Not only do I have explaining, so do you, calling out another butler's name."

"Jealous of your brother already?" I breathed out weakly.

Before I could hear an answer, I was gone.

Was tonight really that hard for me to handle?

~

I sat up, my arm bandaged and sore.

"How are you, My lady," Jonathan said.

"Sore. What happened?" I asked.

"You were passed out for three solid days." Jonathan answered. I felt my head and said, "Jonathan, don't joke around."

He leaned up close to me and said, "My lady, are you playing around with me? Calling out to another butler," I backed up and leaned against the back board of my bed, "Jonathan." I had no excuse and neither was I planning to make one.

"My lady, just remember, if you are ever in need of help. In desperation and in despair, call out my name." He said, his voice, sultry, "The name you gave me."

"Quit your rubbish," I said, turning my face, "Just make sure that I'm prepared for what's next."

"My lady," he continued persistently, "Shall you ever command your opponents pawns, it would confuse the game, would it not?"

"Hold your friends close and your enemies closer," I said, "Jonathan, I don't have time for your nonsense. What do I have today?"

"Should you ever hold your enemies too close, there will be a problem, my lady." He warned in an intimidating way.

"What are you implying by that?" I asked boldly. That's right...He was a demon...

"Nothing, my lady. Did you have it in your mind, something planned?" He was too jealous to drop it, it seems. So, I went on. "Where are they, Jonathan?" I asked, ignoring him.

"They're at the Phantomhive manor," he replied shortly.

"And I suppose that they haven't received word from the queen," I asked.

"None. The Queen seems to be holding back as a silent farewell to Angelica Durless." He replied reluctantly, but obediently.

"Angelica Durless," I said to myself, "So she really did come to pass. I wasn't positive with my consciousness toying with me but....truth be told.....so I missed her funeral?" I asked.

"Slept like a babe through it, My lady." he said, putting a shirt by the bedside as he turned around and poured me Earl Grey as I changed my shirt.