Sokovia Accords.

"At what cost?" A hero must ask himself, "Did saving today bring to the days that follow?" That is the responsibility one with power must take to heart

"At what cost?" A hero must ask himself, "Did saving today bring to the days that follow?" That is the responsibility one with power must take to heart. And, after a year since Sokovia, the doubts were stacking up, that's for sure," 

"One wrong move, they say, can end you, and to the civilians of the world they had given the Avengers ample enough chances." 

I, once again, was flown out of hiding into the busy city of New York, back to the Avengers Tower. 

There was to be an important meeting today, and I apparently was required to be present. Today I was to be a guest star. 

There was no time for catching up, no time for "Hello's", or "How are you's?", and the board room was awash in tension. 

I took a seat along with the others, and there, crowded around the table were Humanity's Greatest. Rhodey, Sam, Wanda, Vision, Natasha, Tony, and Steve. 

I occupied the last chair, and there standing before us was Thaddeus Ross, the United States Secretary of State. 

A man with an extensive past, and who always wore a rigid, not to be taken lightly exterior. His silver hair was sleeked back, and he wore a nicely tailored suit. He was firm in his beliefs, and when backed by the masses of the world he held a great deal of authority. 

"11 Wakandan's were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers, and a group of Mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally recluse Wakandan's were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred," The News Anchor on on the TV proclaimed, 

"Our People's blood is spilled on foreign soil... Not only because of the actions of the criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all," The Wakandan King stated," The News Anchor continued, and Steve was quick to shut the TV off, his patience wearing thin even though Thaddeus hadn't even started yet. 

"The world owes the Avenger's an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives..." The Mr. Secretary began, standing before us. "But, while a great many people see you as heroes there are some who would prefer the word "Vigilante"." 

"And, what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha countered, the Agent always quick to challenge. 

"How about "Dangerous"," Thaddeus catechized. "What would you call a group of US based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind. New York, Washington D.C., Sokovia, Lagos..." 

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power, and no supervision. That's an arrangement the Government's of the world can no longer tolerate. But, I think we have a solution..." He illustrated. 

He handed out packets to each of us, the pages pristine, and white, filled with the scarlet words of control, and repression. Words I remembered seeing back in the War. 

"The Sokovia Accords," Thaddeus asserted. "Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations panel only when, and if that panel deems it necessary." 

"So, there are contingencies?" Rhodey brought up. 

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. This is the best middle ground." The silver haired Government official answered.

"If I may interject," I chimed in, closing the judicial document, and tossing it back onto the table

"If I may interject," I chimed in, closing the judicial document, and tossing it back onto the table. "I'm not an Avenger, nor am I apart of S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore, and I'm not an enhanced individual. Why am I also deemed "Necessary" to sign this?"  

"Because, you're just as dangerous, Mrs. Barnes..." Thaddeus riposted. "The world didn't even know you were back until it was publicized not long ago, and while you are not a member, you are affiliated, and the Government's collectively view you as a potential hazard." 

Thaddeus packed up his briefcase, snapping it shut before fixing the lapels of his suits jacket. He looked so assure of his case, the Sokovia Accords like a sword to him, the one legalized strength he had against a room full of superheros, and highly trained individuals. 

"Hawkeye, retired. Banner, M.I.A.. Thor, off God knows where in Space. The Avengers isn't what it used to be. You all are on dangerous grounds. Talk it over, everyone. That is all." The official concluded before swiftly exiting the board room, leaving impervious to the bomb he just dropped.