A House Divided.

The Avengers just sat like the Knights around King Arthur's round table

The Avengers just sat like the Knights around King Arthur's round table. Nursing headaches, and quandaries. Each one at a standoff with not only each other, but with themselves. 

I still felt like I didn't belong here, but at the same point in time I was invited, so I guess I was equally at fault. Not everyone gets a formal invitation, only those whose actions must be taken into account. And, I was deemed a "Potential Hazard" apparently. 

We had moved into the lounge area for coffee, but no one had even taken a sip yet, everyone just staring absently into their reflections in their mugs. 

Sam, and Rhodey were the first to voice their opinions. Sam against it, Rhodey for it. 

I crossed one leg over the other, and slunk down in my chair, over it just as much as everyone else was. 

Falcon, and War Machine continued to be the most vocal out of the bunch until Vision interjected. 

"If I may..." The red, and silver android intervened. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurable rate." 

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve rebutted. 

"I'm saying that there may be a causality," Vision resumed. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And, conflict... Breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." 

"Tony, you're being uncharacteristically non-hyper verbal." Natasha noted. 

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve commented. 

"Oh, you know me so well," The billionaire mused, standing up, and strolling over to the kitchenette for a refill. 

"But, you know what this is? It's just been a long day for me. A really, really long day. You know, I had that MIT thing, and everything was just dandy until on the way to the little boys room I was met with the face of someone we forget about once the battle is over. Miriam Sharpe was her name. Nice lady, works at Human Resources, has a son, or had one anyway." 

Tony brought out his Italian coffee press, and popped some drugstore Aspirin before whipping out his phone, a projection of a young man appearing. 

"Oh, that's Charlie Spencer, by the way. Miriam's son. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall," Tony illustrated. "But, first... He wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't go to Vegas, or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris, or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where? Sokovia." 

Tony continued on with his litany, baring the cold hard facts. Aspirin, and coffee in hand, his words as sharp as a blades. 

"He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." Tony explicated. 

"There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations... If we're boundaryless, we're no better than the bad guys." 

"This is run by people with agenda's though, and agenda's change." The Captain refuted. 

"That's good," The genius replied. "That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down, and stopped manufacturing." 

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this we surrender our right to choose," Steve kept on protesting. "What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." 

I cleared my throat, about to put my two cents in. 

"Listen, I know I'm kind of an outsider here, and I wasn't there during Sokovia, but I'm on Steve's side. The Sokovia Accords, that's not freedom. That's control." I avouched, vexing the Iron Man apparently. 

"I should of known you'd say that, Rebecca

"I should of known you'd say that, Rebecca. You know, you old geezers are all the same. Freedom this, and freedom that," The rich Avenger lipped. "You ever stop to think about how we especially are the ones who need a little control to ensure the safety, and freedom of others? Of the civilians? The people we're supposedly here for to protect?" 

I only half listened to the playboy as I discreetly pulled out my phone, and read some of the texts I was receiving. 

It was seven hours ahead of New York time there, and he was still up wanting to make sure if I was okay. 

I smiled before slipping my cell back into my trousers pocket. 

"Well, you guys hash it out. I have to go. I have someone waiting for me." 

"Oh, you mean your Winter Soldier hubby? Where are you two hiding out anyway?" Tony goaded, always quick with his snappy catechism. 

"That's confidential." I retorted, rising from my seat. 

"Um, if I could get a jury, please? I don't think keeping secrets right now is the wisest." 

He was always swift with his never ceasing sarcasm, and wit, and although I felt that it wasn't my place I wasn't going to tape my mouth shut either. 

"Don't bullshit me, Tony," I parried. "Who was it who kept the Ultron thing a secret from the rest of the Avengers? Not to mention the whole world? You're the main benefactor in this meeting happening today, and out of the two of us I think my secret makes less of an impact than the one yours made." 

"I'll walk you out, Becky." Steve stepped in, eager for a little fresh air away from all the butting heads, and disputes. 

I let him walk me out into the busy streets of New York, and I went ahead to try, and flag down a lone taxi. 

"Are you going to sign it?" I heard Steve ask as I hunted for the shadings of the iconic yellow amidst the congestion of traffic. 

"Probably not, and I know you won't either." I said. 

"Oh, yeah? How do you know that?" The Captain asked, and I merely smiled. 

"Steve, you forget how long we've known each other. I know you like the back of my hand." I stated just as a cab drove up to the curb, out of the fray of New York's junctions. 

"But, now I must really go. I have a plane to get to, and he worries whenever I'm late." 

"Where are you two staying now?" The blonde questioned, opening up the taxi's door for me. 

"Well, let's just say it's no penthouse in Brooklyn like back in the old days." I told him before kissing his cheek, and leaving down the intersection.