Chapter 16 - Frances: Becoming Ms. Right

After the failed out of town trip with Tony, I just wanted to see Matteo so badly. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream. Tony didn't love me. He never did. I guess I mistook the signals. Those times when I felt he treated me special...was only because I was special. Unfortunately, it wasn't the kind of special I wanted...since he only treated me that way because I was his best friend.

What did Nicole have that I didn't?

I guess it was time for me to let Tony go.

When Matteo picked me up, he didn't even ask me why I asked him to pick me up at Ortigas on a Saturday night. Neither did he question my having a bag that looked like I went on a trip. It was a good thing, though because I wasn't really in the mood for explaining myself. If he asked, then I would answer. If not, I wouldn't mention it. If he did ask, I knew that would just lead to another argument. So I hoped for the best.

"Can I stay over?" I asked just to break the silence.

"Uh...my apartment's a mess right now..."

"It's ok. I just don't want to be alone tonight. If I can't stay over, can you just stay over at my place?" I didn't want to be alone. God knows what I would have done if I were all alone.

"Ok." He drove me to the condo and carried my things for me.

"You're awfully quiet."

"Tired I guess."

I suddenly wrapped my arms around his neck. He gave my lips a quick kiss and pulled away. "Something bothering you?"

I shook my head. I couldn't really tell him the reason why I was acting the way I did. I couldn't even tell him that I just told Tony I loved him and that he rejected me so I decided to settle for Matteo instead. So that night, I slept with Matteo's arms around me, my head resting against his heart where I was supposed to belong.

You're right, Martin. I'm going to let Tony go and be with the one who actually loves me...Matteo.

***

It was inevitable that Tony and I would have another falling out. But this time, I didn't know how long it would last. I did pour out my heart to him and he did reject me. If it had been awkward then, it would be twice as awkward now. I did keep tabs on him though. Martin had been nice enough to keep an eye on him for me. Apparently, he had decided to do the same as I did - make his relationship work. But what I found strange was the fact that Nicole didn't even get mad at Tony for dissing her on their anniversary as Tony and I initially thought she'd do. And I guess Tony did want to be with her because according to Martin, after our incident, they had been inseparable.

As for my relationship with Matteo, I did try my best to be the model girlfriend. Since Tony was out of the picture, we spent more time together. I even joined him when he would hang out with his friends which was usually over dinner or coffee. I wasn't really a coffee drinker, but I wanted to at least hang out with my boyfriend. He seemed to like the change in me. He would never admit it, but I felt that he liked the idea that I didn't spend any time with Tony anymore. What he didn't know was the reason why...and I had no intention of telling him at all.

Then two months later, Martin decided to bring me and Tony back together. He had been tired of keeping tabs on both of us, he said, and we were best friends so why would we ruin our friendship? I had to admit, I did miss him. So when we finally did patch things up...I realized one thing...I still stupidly cared.

"I missed you, idiot!"

"Back at you, Princess Frances."

And thankfully, things turned out pretty well for the both of us. I did tell him, however, that I wanted to make the relationship with Matteo work so that meant spending lesser time with him. He completely understood because he was doing the same for Nicole. He told me about how she had forgiven him almost immediately when he apologized. And because of that, he wanted to try harder. That meant less partying, less flirting. It hurt that the guy I loved was on his way to having a better relationship with a girl I hoped would have been me. But then again, as long as he was happy, I'd be happy for him. I had already come to terms with the fact that we could never be together and our friendship was the only relationship that I could have with him.