Chapter 24 - Nicole: Moving On

It's over.

I've lost Matteo forever.

Now I have to pick up the pieces of my broken heart.

***

After I told Matteo I loved him, I never heard from him again. I never expected we'd be parting ways, and I always hoped that he'd still think of the baby despite what happened. But that was all wishful thinking and I know things would never be the same again. So I did the only thing I could do to avoid thinking of him - run away and forget. It was the only thing I could do to mend my broken heart. It was a good thing my sister was supportive of my decision and even let me stay at her place since Matteo didn't know where that was. I couldn't risk going to the coffee shop and Matteo showing up. Ate M was wonderful enough to manage the place while I was absent. I was confident that Gino, my business partner, would be there to assist her. He was also my eyes and ears - and he mentioned that Matteo did drop by as I expected - but after that, he never showed up at the coffee shop again. I guess he, too, decided that he didn't want to see me again.

So I tried to keep my mind busy doing other things. But no matter what I did, everything reminded me of him. I would painfully recall how he used to visit me before going to work, how he would pick me up and drop me home if he had the time, how he put my needs first, how he accompanied me to my doctor's appointments, and how he loved our baby.

Our baby boy.

I was going to have a son.

His son - the son he would never see again. I can't face him. It's selfish of me but it would only destroy me if he rejected me once more. And in order to keep my feelings intact before I gave birth, I knew I had to move on and forget about him. I had to remind myself constantly that this was my initial plan in the first place and Matteo hadn't been part of that.

My sister had been more than helpful and often saw to my needs. I'd recently found out that she, too, had her heart broken. I guess we comforted each other in a way and being together actually helped keep our minds from our unrequited loves. She had always been a smoker, but for my sake she lessened it. But there were times when she'd look so lonely and in the middle of the night would be at the terrace smoking while I pretended not to notice. I knew she was trying to be strong for me, and I was doing the same thing for her. I didn't want to burden her by worrying about me so I did my best not to let my feelings show for her sake.

***

Two weeks after I moved in at my sister's condo, I received an unexpected visitor - Tony. I admit I was surprised to see him. I was even more surprised when he hugged and me and apologized for all the hurts he caused me in the past. Seeing him again, especially now after everything that happened, I realized how much we both changed. He told me he wanted to be there for me when I needed it. I gathered he finally found out the truth from my sister. I was so touched by his gesture that I couldn't help but hug him. There he was, the guy I wanted to rid myself of before, now here with me promising to do everything he could to make up for all the hurts he caused in the past.

From him I also found out that Frances knew the truth. And it hurt to know that she and Matteo were still together. I guess fate works in ways we could never imagine. Frances and Matteo's relationship got stronger - and Tony and I were brought together again, no longer as a couple but as friends.

I was amazed at how Tony knew me so well and did all he could to make me happy. It was, as he put it, a way for him to make up for what he did in the past. Things we usually did together, we continued to do but this time minus the arguments we used to have. He did what Matteo used to do for me - visit me when he could, accompany me to my doctor's appointments, and made sure I had what I needed. It was helpful that he was there for me because he helped keep my mind off Matteo at times. And one day, after our visit from the doctor, he surprised me by taking me to see the sunset at Manila Bay.