(0.5) The Prince Not-So-Charming

"You cannot be serious," Raees said the words that had been running through his head since the conversation had started, but this time, loud enough for the man sitting in front of him to hear.

"I assure you that I am not jesting," the King Regent answered in a neutral tone. "I have asked you to do one simple task, and dare I say, you are old enough to follow instructions without sulking and complaining."

Raees scowled at the insult. His father knew exactly how old he was, yet was still treating him like some errand boy. Not even an hour ago, Raees had been planning on travelling to Dratvia to ensure the island's wards still functioned at full strength, and to assure the Dratvians that the deal they had struck still stood, even if things didn't seem that way. Now he was standing in the centre of the throne room, being ordered to do a task anyone could do.

"Why me? Thanks to you, her shadow guard can travel through portals. Why not just send him to bring his precious princess back—"

The king had given up on trying to hide his impatience. "Because she is your princess! She is your responsibility! Or have you forgotten your duty already?"

"Has anyone ever let me?" Raees nearly shouted before taking control of his emotions. He must not forget that he was addressing his king. Even if his king had absurd demands. "I understand that the compliance of Antarians depends on this arrangement you made with her father, but I am not just your pawn, King Regent. The responsibility of millions of lives rests on my shoulders. You know very well that if I fail, if Dratvia is breached again, there would be no need for Antaria or its princess." He sighed, "You cannot expect me to abandon everything for such an insignificant task."

"Insignificant is the last thing this job is," the king shook his head. "Antaria is not truly under our control until you are crowned with her by your side, and until then, everything is unstable. Drisdai is unstable." The king looked straight at him, and for a moment, Raees didn't have to imagine how tired his father must be, but then the look of exhaustion was gone. "I have spoken with your aunt, and she has assured me that she has everything in Dratvia under control for now. I have also spoken to your uncle. He thinks Denvia is planning to take advantage of the fragility of the peace in Antaria—"

Raees's anger overtook his concern for his father. His aunt would never disagree with his father, not after what she had cost them, and his uncle's only concern had ever been exaggerated threats from Denvia, a kingdom whose ruler was nothing but a power-hungry snake. "Idle threats! We—"

"—will not sit by while everything we have worked for is destroyed! Not after all we have sacrificed!" the king roared, making Raees go silent. "Raees," his tone turned sad. "You knew this was bound to happen, did you not? You have known ever since the two of you were married. Then why are you doing this? Why are you putting everything we have worked for in danger?"

A feeling not so different from shame replaced all his annoyance in an instant. "I... This is not about—" he let out a defeated sigh. "I did not mean to upset you or shirk from my duties. If you want me to bring her back, I will." His father only nodded before looking away. Raees turned to the door but then hesitated. He should have just left, do as he was commanded, but he was tired too. "Is it worth it? All this pain and sorrows we take onto ourselves, for the sake of men and women who will never appreciate the sacrifices we make for them?"

Exactly what he was referring to, he himself did not know. Was it to centuries ago, when his father had opened the borders of Draconovia, their refuge, to provide a safe haven to the tortured creatures of Antaria, or sometime later, when the mighty Dragon had defeated his cruel neighbour, conquering Antaria and forcing its former king into exile?