(4) Red Dragons, Purple Dinosaurs And Lone She-Wolves

Red Dragons, Purple Dinosaurs And Lone She-Wolves

I was up early the next day.

Really early.

 I went to the store to buy red food dye and mixed it in ice cold water. And then I just patiently waited on my side of the fence.

It didn’t take long for that good for nothing sexist wanna-be dictator to come out. He looked at me suspiciously but I just smiled at him innocently.

He was wearing a black suit, and dear Lord! He looked too good to be real.

It made me falter for a moment, but only a small fleeting moment.

As soon as he was close enough, I threw the bucket of red water on him.

He cussed. I laughed.

“Take that, you obnoxious giant!” I screamed at him before running back inside and locking all the doors.

A while later, once I had stopped laughing like a maniac, I realized that what I had done wasn’t a wise thing to do. I didn’t know Raees. What if he was some sort of criminal like Ricky said? What if he came after me? What if he killed me?

“Maisha?” My mom called. Weird, she was supposed to be at work.

“Coming!” I answered before running downstairs. A thought struck me. Oh no! Did Raees call my mom?

I looked at her for any signs of a chat with him. She looked upset.

“He’s lying!” I nearly screamed. “I didn’t do it!”

She looked at me in confusion. “Do what?”

“Whatever he said I did!”

“Who said what?”

Oh. She didn’t know.

“Nothing.” I giggled nervously. “What did you want to talk about?”

She looked at me suspiciously before sighing. “A colleague of mine was supposed to go out of town for a meeting, but she isn’t feeling very well and my boss wants me to fill in for her.”

“Cool.” I answered while picking up an apple.

“I’ll have to go out of town for a week.” She said slightly louder this time. “You’ll be alone.”

“I’ve been alone at home before.” I said rationally before taking a bite of the apple. She had gone out of town for meeting a few times before, it was nothing new.

“Never for this long or without Ricky being home with you.” She frowned.

“I’m eighteen, old enough to survive on my own for a few days.” I rolled my eyes. “You seriously have nothing to worry about.”

“I’ve been calling your brother-“

“You know there are no signals where he is.” I cut her off. “Seriously, don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. And way safer without him.”

“You’re sure?” She asked sceptically.

“I’m sure.” I smiled reassuringly at her.

“Ok, then.” She smiled back, “I better get packing.”

She left me in the kitchen to go to her room while I thought of all the things I could do while I had the house to myself.

Fifteen minutes after my mom had a left, I had a long list of nothing.