(6) Even His Dream Version Is A Jerk

Even His Dream Version Is A Jerk

Fire everywhere. Everything was burning.

“Hello!” I screamed while something fell somewhere behind me, making me jump. “Is anyone here?”

The acrid smoke was making it difficult to breathe. I tried to look for an exit, but couldn’t find one. I didn’t know where I was or which way I should go.

“Hello?!” I called out again.

Someone grabbed my arm. I nearly screamed before realizing that it was my brother.

“Ricky! We need to get out of here.” The fire was spreading and we were surrounded. We had to get out of there. Fast.

I pulled on his arm, but he didn’t move.

“Ricky?”

“Why can’t you remember?” He asked in frustration while grabbing both my shoulders. “Why won’t you accept who you really are?”

Before I could ask him what he was talking about, Ricky caught fire. He was burning right in front of my eyes.

I screamed. I tried to help him, but he kept moving away.

“Help!” I screamed while looking in all directions around me. “Help!”

My eyes caught my mother’s. “Help! It’s Ricky!”

But she just stared at me. “You have to remember, Maisha.”

And then she was on fire too.

I woke up screaming because of the nightmare.

And then I was screaming because I wasn’t alone.

Someone, I didn’t know who, grabbed my arms, making me scream louder.

 “Shush! It’s just me.”

I opened my eyes to find Raees’s green ones staring at me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him shakily. I could feel my cheeks wet with tears.

“I heard you screaming and your door wasn’t locked. I thought you were being burgled.” He shrugged.

I looked down; embarrassed and shaken at the same time. My screams were so loud that he heard, and it was only a nightmare.

“No… it was just…”

“A bad dream.” Raees nodded. I expected a mocking retort, but it never came.

“I’m OK. You can go now.” I said without looking at him.

He got up, but instead of going out, he walked to the other side of my bed and laid down on it, with his back against the head board and his hands behind his head in a relaxed position. He didn’t even take his boots off.

“What are you doing?” I asked him with a shocked expression.

“Getting comfortable.” He answered, his eyes still closed. “I’m not going to stand next to you all night while you sleep.”

“Get out!”

“No.”

“I said get out!”

“And I said no.”

“Why?”

“Because you don’t want me to.”