(9) The Midget He Isn't And The Pigeon I Am

The Midget He Isn't And The Pigeon I Am

I was done with my shower in eighteen minutes. I spent the two I had left trying to think of a revenge plan.

No one sits on Maisha and gets away with it.

I had already thrown dye on him. As satisfying as that was, if I tried it again, he’d know what I was up to way before I got close enough to him. Sitting on him was out of the question. He was too strong to let that happen.

I could tie him up first, but something told me that it would be impossible.

Seriously, why couldn't he be a four feet tall bag of bones instead of the 6'4" or something freakishly huge guy that he was?

I'll tell you why, because if he was a midget instead of the hulk, I wouldn't have to avenge myself in the first place.

I would have annihilated him ages ago.

When I went downstairs, I saw Zane in the kitchen making sandwiches.

“I saw burger patties in the freezer.” He explained, “Seemed easy enough.”

“Good going.” I said before sitting down and grabbing my plate. “Where’s Raees?”

“He went home to get something.” Zane shrugged before sitting in front of me. “What are your plans for today?”

“Other than coming up with a plan to get back at Raees? Going to the library of course. I might get paid for doing nothing, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t have to go in.”

“Are you sure you’re feeling up to it?” He asked with concern. “I could cover your shift?”

“I’m absolutely fine.” I said and it was true. Even though I fainted yesterday, I felt like I was on top of the world. I’d never felt so… strong before.

Strange. Wasn’t I supposed to feel weak?

I ignored that thought. If I was feeling good, who was I to question it?

“Alright then.” Zane said. “We’ll leave after breakfast.”

And we did. There was still no sign of Raees when we left. I shouldn’t have cared. There was absolutely no reason for me to feel disappointed. But I did.

Guess the whole fainting thing had its side effects after all.

Zane and I worked in silence for the most part. He seemed worried about something. When I told him about my observation, he denied it.

“I just miss my family.” He said after a while.

The guy had spent the night on my sofa and I didn’t even think before then that he had a family. Of course he had a family! Everyone had a family, but I hadn’t even given it a thought.

“Oh? Where are they?” I asked as conversationally as I could. In reality, I was more than curious.

“Back home.” He said vaguely. Before I could ask him where “home” was, he began talking again. “I have a younger sister. She’s ten.”

He told me about his family, how his father was a little too hardworking, and his mother the sweetest lady. I wanted to point out that everyone liked their mother, but he was so absorbed in the details of his own words that I didn’t want to interrupt him. I could tell just my looking at him that he loved them.

“I wonder if my brother would speak of me so lovingly if someone asked him about me.” I said after a while. “Considering that I have a hard time even imagining it, I doubt it.”