ten

He asked no questions. He just laid us back down, holding me as close as possible, and lulled me back to sleep.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and my legs around his waist as I sobbed.

"Princess, what did she do?"

"Got my fucking attention. I don't- I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay," he whispered.

And that was that.
-
I woke up first, and waited until Dick started to stir to get out of the bed.

I walked downstairs, ready to be greeted by Alfred and everyone else for breakfast.
-
Dick met me halfway down the stairs.

"Hey, Princess," he said as he landed his lips on my cheek.

"Hey," I said, then hugged my chest.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just that nightmare has me a little out of sorts. I'm- Im okay. Promise."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "You sure?"

"Yeah."

I laced my fingers with his, and we walked downstairs.
-
Damian was sitting hunched over with his face in his hands. I left Dick in the hallway.

"Dami-"

A sob escaped his throat.

"Oh, no, Damian-"

I sat next to him, and wrapped my arms around him.

He leaned into me, and I whispered comforting things to him.

"He's passed, Master Dick," I heard Alfred say in the next room.

"Damian, it's- it's going to be okay. I promise."

He nodded, and said, "I think I'm going to go take a walk. I'll be back here later."

"Okay. Take as long as you need."

I walked into the kitchen where Dick was sitting at the counter with his face in his hands. Alfred had his hand on Dick's shoulder.

He wasn't even hiding his sobs.

"Di-" I stopped. What was I going to say? This man had raised him, saved him even. What could I have possibly said to make him feel better?

I left him there, and walked outside. I walked for awhile around the garden before I decided to leave.

I ordered a milkshake from the small diner I had stopped in.

Then it hit me. Bruce Wayne was dead. He was no longer breathing. There was going to be a funeral. And then a mourning period, and then nothing.

What about Batman? The whole town would know he was Batman. The fuck were we going to do then?
-
I  couldn't sleep that night. I locked the door, and didn't answer when Dick knocked. He tried a few times to get in before realizing I needed to be alone.

"Princess, I'll be in my room if you need me."

When his footfalls became quieter, I rolled out of my bed, grabbed a katana, and walked downstairs.