1525 autumn II

The journey is ten days with stops in-between. I am given every comfort one can expect on a long journey. I have found that Williams cheerful disposition had started to alter with the journey and I wondered if I had misjudged my husband's willingness to leave the court and maybe he was angry at me for this unfair removal. It had been designed by Henry, arouse that would hopefully make sense to the court although doubtful. We were, as a newly married pair to visit my budding groom's estates and property. It required his attendance, as well as mine, and I think he had not planned this future when he first envisioned wedding me.

"My back is on fire, I have never felt so sore in my life," I say as I crawl into bed.

"At least you have the comfort of a carriage." He replies curtly.

A low growl escapes my throat. A comfort of a carriage? He clearly had not spent long durations in one before, it had left me feeling tense and fatigued. Every night when I crawled into bed, I was out cold until dawns light, the morning sun only brought the prospect of another day of travel. It was an unending process and the carriage jumped and shook more than running smooth. Each jolt was another pain my exhausted body could not cope with. "I think, I would prefer to ride horseback, then I could get some semblance of freedom." I retort. The carriage had me feeling like a cooped chicken, unable to move far, day-on-day, moving further and further away from the court. The pregnancy did not help.

"Is it much further?" I ask meekly. I do not have the will to argue further or be snappish. I just want to arrive at his estate and put the memory of this awful journey behind me.

"It is not much further, Katherine. A few more days." He replies curtly before rolling over and falling asleep, for sure or a ruse I am not certain.

x-x-x-x-x-x

The end is in sight, I can see his family home, although not as grand as the palaces I have frequented in recent months, it does not matter, it is a respite, somewhere I will be staying for several months. It is more homely than I imagined, although the outlook is hard stone and defensive, it is snuggled between farmland and forest and has a semblance of peace: the Compton estate. It is enshrined in shrubbery and trees and my heart instantly feels comfort at being so close to a more natural state of nature.

Perhaps, my exile will not be too bad, a break away from the madness which is the English court. No ladies to look down upon me, no King to ignore me, no Queen or sister to disapprove off my actions. I had been so caught up in that world that the prospect of leaving it was in line with torture, to be away from the inner workings, the high-society, yet, now that I am away, it is blissful, like a weight has been taken off my shoulders. I was never one for such intrigue and ambition that was always my mother Margaret, but I had found myself as such, playing the game like everyone else.

"Please, follow me, Lady Compton." A small girl says as I timberly climb out of the carriage.

I do as she asks, following the lithe girl into the Compton home. She is a dainty thing, maybe at an age with me, yet, I feel travel worn and exhausted, and know between the two of us she would be the more admirable at this time, even in plain clothes. I shrink at the thought, even now I am comparing myself to all those around me, even a servant, seeing whom would be favoured more in appearance, I have been conditioned for this at court for too long now and it is nothing but destructive thinking. I shake my head, trying to physically remove the thoughts.

The stairs are steep and it takes my breath away, but the thought of proper rest, my own space and a chance to stay in one place spurs me on. The chamber is neat, but could also be called plain compared to the luxuries I had become accustomed to as Mistress of the King. Yet, I should not complain, this will be my safe haven, my chamber to do as I please and be a servant to no one but my own whims and desires no matter how basic they might be right now.

"Your trunks shall be brought up shortly, would you like some food or wine brought up?" The young girl asks.

I look towards the girl, my thoughts had become a distraction and I had forgotten she was there. Her accent was rough, compared to the soft-spoken words of court. "Both. And some hot water to wash myself." I pause in thought. " Some sprigs of lavender if you have them as well please, maybe, ask the cook," I say, I can not imagine the Compton estate stocked vials of perfumed oils or soap, it was a luxury that was uncommon to most English.

The girl whose name I shortly learned as Tilly, was quite adept in her serving, she swiftly brought me lavender-infused water, already simmering, having guessed my intention. I gently wash down my body, the hot water soothing my senses, removing the grim of the road. I only realised now how filthy I had become. Soon the scent of lavender filled the chamber and once I had a full stomach I became relaxed, ready to submerge myself in my new position and life away from the court.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I can hear scuffling, slight in noise but enough to rouse me from sleep. A large yawn escapes me and I have to blink several times to adjust my eyes to the light. I had fallen asleep quickly, the continued travel had taken its toll on my exhausted body and I had drifted off without effort, even though, I am in new surroundings.

"Tilly." I look at the girl, my new serving maid busying herself around my chamber. "Can you tell William that I shall join him for the morning fast, I am famished," I say hearing my stomach growl. I was craving more food as the pregnancy went on and the sickness which had begun at first was beginning to drift away.

She looks my way and a slight frown marks her face. "Sir Compton, has already left, and the morning fast was hours ago, we are closer to midday, my Lady." She replies.

It was my turn to frown. "Ah, I see. Do you know where he went or why I was not woken?" I ask.

"Sir Compton, he said: not to wake you as it had been a long journey and you would be needing the rest. To where he has gone and when he will be back, I do not know." She clocks my face and adds. " However, I can get you some food and I can ask one of the stable boys if they know his destination."

I nod my head in assent. William had given me a blessing in truth for I had needed the rest and I would most likely not have appreciated an early rise today. "Where are my trunks?" I quickly ask Tilly before she heads out of my chamber.

She pauses swiftly, "They are outside the chamber, by the time they had brought them up you were well into sleep and I did not want them to disturb you."

"I will get changed, then tell them to bring them into my chamber I have need of a few things." She curtseys quickly before leaving and I can not help but smile at the unnecessary attempt.

I throw on my travelling dress, it is all I have for now, but the material is sturdy and easy to place upon my person. I wait anxiously for my trunks to be lifted into my chamber, I should not have left them unattended overnight because for once there are items I do not wish to be found by anyone, espically not my husband or his attendants.

******
Update
Hey everyone the next two chapters are already written and posted on Radish. I have to wait a certain amount of time between posting on there and here so if needing the rest of the story you can grab the next 2 chapters through the link, they are free to read as have been up over a week xx
https://radish.app.link/89BgLS5tXP

Also exciting news Pasionforbooks has said yes to editing and critiquing my book, she has already sent over a few of the first chapters and it's amazing how much more they flow! So I shall be uploading them ASAP! Love xx