1525 Summer

Two weeks have passed and I have tried and almost succeeded in my husband's instruction. I have seen the looks, heard the whispering behind hands and I know without true knowledge what everyone spoke about. The gossip was on everyone's lips, the King and his encounters with Mistress Carey. Even the servants knew about the murmurings yet no one wished to tell me directly, not one person would face me and tell me the damning words, yet, I knew. The silence when I came to close, the glances which quickly turned away, were the tiniest of indicators. I think they were waiting for the inevitable confrontation, or perhaps, they did not want to anger the King by speaking such scandal. In either case, there was one woman who could not refrain and her gloating face could not hold it back any longer, she wanted to tell me the truth of it and could no longer wait in telling me the news. 

"You may have him back if he will have you," Mary says close to my person.

I flinch at her closeness, not expecting the near proximity. "The choice is always Henry's, has he tired of you so soon?" I reply off-handdly.

She sits beside me, her eyes straying to those ladies closest daring them to listen, and accept the consequences. When satisfied that there was a resemblance of privacy she turns her attention back to me, piercing eyes filled with smugness. "I doubt he would ever tire of me completely. You have been a distraction for him and may be again, but I want you to understand that I am his favourite, his most-beloved." Mary states.

I can feel bile rising in the back of my throat. "Did you reach that conclusion at Hever, in your many months away from the court?" I retort boasting a confidence that was all pretence.

Her false smile slips, for a moment I am allowed a small victory but it is fleeting and only for a moment before her courtier smile comes into play and it makes me realise she is a Boylen. The same mould as Anne but vastly different, yet, the same teachings. A smile which held no friendliness more a grimace, her piercing eyes could not be mistaken for anything but rage; Hell has no fury like a woman scorned.

"I am with child. The king's child." Mary states. I gape at her confession and she gains momentum in her taunting. "He will find solace in your bed or another's , but it matters not, for I have now conceived him two children and my fertility makes me of more use than your occasional rutting." She says.

She whispers her words so only I can hear but the hatred and passion are clear. I know she expects me to lash out at her words, she wants me to slander the child growing within her, perhaps, say out-loud what I am thinking.. that the child is not into this world yet, or she may bear a daughter, but it would only damn me. In doing such I would slander the King also, a dangerous folly, and even in my anger, I am aware of the danger. In truth, I only long to speak a confession of my own, one that would lay Mary low.. to let her know that she is not the only woman with a fruitful womb. I bite my tongue, it is knowledge for the Kings ears and his only.

"Does the King know?" I ask.

She frowns at my response, dissatisfied in my reply. No doubt she wished me to be angry or would have preferred an outburst from me. "Of course he knows. He is most pleased with the announcement." She snaps.

I take Mary in, so happy and willing to gloat and I have to refrain from telling her some hard truths. I think we both notice the silence at the same time, unusual for the Queens chambers. I turn in my stool and note the Queen returned from her private chapel, she, in turn, takes us both in and I note the pallor of her skin and puffiness around her eyes.. a look I had adorned for several nights in my distress. 

"Mistress Carey, I must congratulate you on your happy news. Master Carey is a most fortunate man." She says with grace although her voice is spoken clear and loud.

Mary visibly gulps, she may slander as she pleases to all but Queen Katherine. "Your Grace is Kind." She finally mummers.

Queen Katherine nods her head in acknowledgement in truth she was not kind just cunning. She had her own games, not only had she announced Mary's condition to all present but she had also made it clear that she thinks the child not worthy of titles, another bastard for Master Carey. It was cleverly done, above reproach, making her appear kindly and forgiving but to us, the ladies of her chamber, we understood perfectly. The Queen was displeased and we should be too.

"Mistress Champerknowne, are you well?" You are not looking your usual self." She turns her address towards me and I can feel my heart beat increase.

Does she know of my condition also, have her spies guessed the truth. I breathe lightly and play at court. "I am well your Grace, just a few sleepness nights," I reply in my best courtly manner.

A tight lip grin appears upon the Queens' face. "I imagine your husband is enthralled to have his new bride back between the sheets."I blush profusely, unsure how to respond as I listen to the sniggers of laughter coming from some of the young maids. "You must tell your husband to allow you rest, I do not like my ladies looking so haggard, it is unbecoming."

I bow my head and she dismisses me with a flick of her wrist. She did not deem a response from me and she was in a bitter mood. It was clear to all why, Mary and her condition, not an innocent folly but twice around. It was obvious to me that we would always be the same in Queen Katherine's eyes. Mary had hurt her and I would feel her hatred too, however, this time I felt guilty for I had certainly committed many sins against this woman, and the guilt was not all Mary's.