1523 Whitehall Palace II (Edited)

Joan growls at me as I remove the sheets, letting the cold air flow over her skin. "Get up! We are to announce ourselves to Queen Katherine today," I say loudly.

Joan grabs the sheet from my hand, and pulls it back over her head to block the sun's bright glare.

Looking down at my sisters' bedraggled form caressed in the plain sheet, I can not help but laugh. It was that damn wine. I had seen her drink so much, she would have been better having her own jug. I could already see the drunken, bemused gaze in her eyes.

"The Queen will be offended if we arrive late," I pull the blanket off her again and fill her a glass of watered down wine. "This will make you feel better," I say.

She struggles up to a sitting position, then gulps the drink quickly. She looks at me with thanks. By the redness of her eyes, I could tell she would spend all day in bed if she could. I move from the bed and give her a moment to prepare herself, while I go and look at some of her outfits. The maids have already unpacked my chest of clothes and prepared them perfectly for me. Joan's outfits, however, are all over the place.

I look through her mostly dull selection until my eye falls onto a beautiful dress of white.

I smirk as I show it to Joan. She takes one look at the dress in my hand and smiles. "I bet every other lady in this palace will be wearing white today." She says.

She is right. It would be perfect after yesterday's entertainment: a display of the King and his thing for pageants. In the play, he and his gallant knights had rescued fair maidens, who were trapped by an evil sorcerer in a mock battle of good and evil. The ladies were dressed as swans representing grace, beauty, and the fragile nature of our sex. Whereas the men had conquered evil, rescued the damsels, and had then recited their undying love in a poetic display. Every woman who is seeking the King's approval would be wearing white today.

"Will you not be wearing White? It is you who must attract the King." She asks.

"I must admit, I was tempted, too, but the plan is to stand out and get his attention. If you are all dressed like swans, then I will stand out dressed in blue," I say.

Joan laughs in response.

** *

We walk down the twisting corridors, with Joan leading the way. I try to keep warm by rubbing my hands up and down my arms. The turning of the New Year is not far away, and the weather has been getting colder. We come to a halt outside of the Queen's rooms, where two guards stand to attention.

At least a dozen ladies look our way as we enter. We pause and curtsy to the Queen, while the guard announces our arrival. We then wait for her response, unnerved by the dozens of eyes upon us.

"Lady Howard, Mistress Champernowne," Queen Katherine announces.

"Your Majesty," we respond in unison.

Queen Katherine smiles. "It is nice to see you again, Joan. It has been a long time since I last saw you at court. You and your sister are most welcome."

"Thank you, your Majesty. It has been a long time. I am glad to be back," Joan replies in earnest.

The Queen nods in approval and permits us to move out of the ominous center and onto the side. We talk in whispers, for the room is in quiet discussion. The room is lined with gilded stands, each one housing books written in latin. Some ladies read while others mend shirts. Some talk louder than others, but even they are nowhere near as boisterous and entertaining as the those in the Queen's chamber in France.

"She appears to remember you fondly," I whisper to Joan, trying to take my mind off my hometown.

"We had a few things in common. We used to get along well," she replies.