1525 Summer part II

The day has turned in to a mass of endless chatter. Everyone; courtier and worker alike are gossiping about the scene which had occurred in the Queen's chambers. I think the reality and cold truths were much more amusing for most than the mock pageantry's which were performed for fun. It was uncommon for Queen Katherine to be so brash, so open in her distaste, she was clearly at her limit. It was not just the news of Mary's pregnancy which had riled the Queen but another slight - from the one she loved - thrust upon her at the same time as the bint's untimely news. It has been announced that Henry Fitzroy is to be ennobled.

If you could call yourself a half-decent courtier, then you could easily read between the lines. King Henry was re-defining the succession, no doubt desiring a son, bastard or not, to sit upon the English throne. In turn, Mary's announcement displayed Henry's virality like a banner and in doing such brazenly showed Katherines faults to all. I know this is my chance, Henry is in a giving mood showering his bastard Fitzroy with high titles of peerage making him in one quick swoop the Earl of Nottingham and the Duke of Richmond, a title newly created for the young boy. If the King should die, his bastard would be a high peer of the realm and held enough power in his little hands to push a claim for the crown, especially for those not wishing a Princess of fragile health with foreign blood, to be their anointed Queen.

It not only reduced his daughters status in the eyes of the court but also that of the Queens. The challenge was there. King Henry was not satisfied with his one begotten legal daughter and he would do all in his power to have a son succeed him. It sent shivers down my spine to witness, my child could acquire status as well, so, I must tell him while he is in the mood of power-giving and the thought of succession churns through his mind.       

"Henry."

"Katherine." He replies cooly.

"I need to speak with you," I say meekly.

The raise of his eyebrow at my request almost makes me falter, it appeared almost as a challenging look and I get ready to leave expecting a resounding no, to be voiced. He eyes my twiddling thumbs, a nervous habit I fall back into, then nods his assent.

"Gentlemen, It appears I am needed elsewhere, you will excuse me." He says pleasantly before offering me his arm. "I hope you are not here to berate me, Kat. It is a joyous day and I do not want to be set upon by the whiles of whining women." He says straight even before we wander a pace or two.

I grit my teeth at his impertinence and swallow down my reaction. It never works to argue against Henry, I have learned my lesson, only honey-dipped words will get me what I want. "No, that is not what I have intended. I apologize for my words before, Henry. I wish to speak plainly to you and it is both joyful and private." I reply evenly.

"Private, you say? In a court such as this one... now I am intrigued." He smirks bringing back his easy charm. He leads me further away, out from the grand hall and away from the prying courtiers. He eyes all those who try to approach and it creates an easy, peaceful path away. "Speak then, Kat. Today is a day for celebration, my son is now a peer of the realm and I wish to rejoice accordingly." He adds.

"It is of a similar nature," I say trying to figure out the correct words to say and in such a way as not to cause anger. His impatient look hastens my words, which fall out in quick succession. "I am with child." His frown is not the response I had been preparing myself for. "Henry?" I query.

He collects his composure returning me with his charming smile. "I am pleased for you and Compton. I will give you time away from the court, if that, is what you seek from me."

It is my turn to frown. "The child is not Compton's. Henry, it is your child." I state.

"Impossible. We have not recently bedded together." He replies truthfully.