1525 winter II (QE)

Anne has never been one to quash her feelings, especially with me. Yet, she is sat opposite me, viewing me with inquisitive eyes and I know something is on the tip of her tongue. Her internal debate comes to a conclusion and she puts aside her book softly, giving me her full attention.

"How was it?" She asks.

I peer over my own book, purposely trying not to mimic her actions, even though, I would much prefer conversation instead of trudging through heavy biblical text: Latin having never been my favoured language.

"How was...?" I ask back while flicking through another page, no longer reading the written words.

She looks at me sternly, crossing her arms in agitation. "You know what, mistress! I thought we were the best of friends and here I am hearing about you deeds through other people's murmurings." She whines.

I wince at her words. "We are friends. I did not think anybody would know so quickly. Who told you?" I ask suspiciously.

"Never mind who told me, almost everyone knows, you cannot bed the King and expect to keep it a secret." She states.

"I know that, Anne. I was just not expecting the mummers to happen so swiftly, I feel spied on." I say simply never meaning to deceive her.

"You are spied on, and never forget it." She notes my downcast face at her words. "Even if you were not, anyone with a mind can see the difference in you today." She adds.

Her softening touch does nothing but aspirate my own worries. I look at her aghast. "Am I that obvious?" I ask.

I can see her patience wearing thin, she has no real concern for my worries or privacy, only ever wanting knowledge.

"You look more confident today, with a smile to your lips that suggests you have a secret hidden from the world, only those her observe would note it." She placates me quickly before moving on to her true questioning.

"So.... How was the encounter?" She asks eagerly.

I lower my voice, so no one can overhear our conversation. "It was pleasant."

"Pleasant...that is it. That is all the detail you are going to bestow me?" She replies almost outraged at the lack of specifics.

I hesitate before my next words, just as dangerous for her as for me. "It was how you had described, at least, at first. There was pain, then there was a strange sensation. He was satisfied." I add.

She coughs back a laugh, although, I do not understand why. "They all are, and you? Were you sated, Kat?" she asks curiously.

"I do not know, yes, maybe?" I say unsure.

"You did not reach desire." She states easily. "You would have known if you had."

I sigh reluctantly. "He was finished before me and I could not well tell him to continue," I say embarrassed.

She smiles at my admission. "He has waited a long time for you, men cannot endure the time if you have had them pent up from waiting, perhaps, next time will be different." She replies.

"Perhaps," I say not as convinced.

Anne eyes the room swiftly before moving out of her chair to stand beside me. Leaning down she whispers in my ear.

"You will have a husband soon, he might be a better bed mate, a bit more of an experienced man, who does not seek out just his own pleasure." She whispers very quietly.

I roll my eyes at her daring. "He may well be, but no one else except you and me will ever know or speak those words. It would not be wise to spout words that disrespect the Kings vigour." I whisper back.

I can see her clearly thinking, she was not stupid enough to go around denouncing the Kings manhood. All at court would only know him to be a good lover and we would both keep up the pretence.

I stare at the person presented before me. I am entranced with my own reflection, not believing, that this is my image staring back at me.

I am clothed in a dress, so white, clean and new. Designed with an intricate lace bodice in a pattern of intertwined flowers, scattered with pale pearls, and chipped diamonds. The corset brings my waist in, allowing me to appear dainty, while at the same time enlarging my hips, making them appear more curved and womanly than before.

My skin is clear and powdered to even out my skin tone, my eyes enhanced darker. My long mane has been clipped into a fashionable design, then covered with a delicate netted veil.

There are so many layers to the bridal gown, the weight of the material alone is enough to make me stumble and as they keep adding jewels, I wonder to myself, if I will be able to walk once they are finished with me.

I am the epitome of a maid, I look pretty and virginal even though we all know that is not the case anymore.

My brother Philip leads me down the procession. His strong embrace gives me confidence and his steadying arm allows me to walk down the aisle with grace even though I am walking on shaking legs.

The chapel at Eltham Palace is small and only a handful of guests have been given permission to attend, the King is there at the front watching my descent with appraisal shining in his eyes. My bridegroom stands at the forefront, dressed for the occasion, striking a prominent figure upon the dais.

The ceremony is mostly a blur, my heart jumping from beat to beat. I do not fear the marriage itself, only the words and intricate rituals of a catholic ceremony in front of a crowd well versed in the catholic staples that one must follow. My memory is so fogged but for only a few words and actions.

"I, William, take thee to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do us part, and thereto I plight thee my troth." He says clearly

"I take thee, William, to my wedded husband" I reply.

I find myself saying the words easily in response, even though, all the vows and pledges we were making were false. I could feel the Kings eyes boring into my back throughout the ceremony and I pondered on his feelings when we finally sealed the contract with a kiss.

It was short and sweet. No longing hunger, or tongue. A peck which told me without words that my new husband had no desire to make the king think twice about their friendship. He would not pursue what was the Kings even though by law, I was now, in fact, his.

With the ceremony completed we make our way to the grand hall. There Henry offers us his congratulations and presents us with a banquet to celebrate. The court had been invited to partake, and I soon find myself being passed from dance to dance like a precious jewel which everyone wants to admire and compliment.

I am surrounded by well-wishers: they all know where the light is shining. My new husband has been given new titles on our marriage from the King, elevating our status and house income and I am to play the role of the beautiful bride and Mistress. All those witnessing today, have envy in their eyes for what could have been for them, or their family.

I am officially a married woman. I am officially the Kings Mistress. I am officially the most envied woman at court.