1525 June (QE)

I am seething in uncontrollable anger. I was right in my prediction, Mary is here to take back what she thinks is hers. She has been playing on her comely looks sauntering around the court like a flirtatious wanton. It makes sense as her intellect is lacking somewhat, but she is intent on enticing all the men of court towards her direction, using her swollen bust to do so. All the men cannot help but stare at her bouncy wares which she flaunts too easily and she knows if all desire her then the King shall follow. It is basic, but it is working.

"Is that really necessary," I whisper harshly to Philip who is standing beside me.

I wait for a response which does not arrive, looking up I notice his piercing eyes gleaning in lust for the bint, he is also under her influence. I pinch his arm painfully, hoping to break the destructive trance.

"What the hell Katherine!" He says sharply, glancing my way briefly.

"Did you not hear a word I just said?" I reprimand.

He rubs the back of his arm dramatically. "Yes, sure. Wanton bint..." He trails off his eyes straying back towards Mary who is dancing for all to see.

"I swear on everything that is holy, you remove your eyes from that strumpet, or I shall... shall not be pleased." I stumble out sounding like a jealous child.

He laughs at my attempt of a threat, but knowing I am angry he makes an effort to break his longing trance, he pointedly stares at me even though I know he is itching to glance her way once more.

"It is not me you should be angry with. I am unwed and am allowed to look at those ripe..." He picks up on my glare, daring him to go further with that form of lude speech, it stops his trail instantly. "Be mad at the King, not me." He pouts.

He is right. My anger is not intended for my brother, but he is the only one I can vent on for such problems. It is aimed truly for the pair of them, Mary and Henry, but I cannot confront either of them nor can I make my disgust known to a certain friend or any of my fellow courtiers without appearing petty or slanderous of the King. He has been only courteous to Mary, but I have caught his longing eyes straying to her, which invites her to be daring, giving her cause to think she has him ensnared.

"I think, I am losing him," I say softly for Phillip's ears only.

"Do not think like that sister, he truly enjoys your companionship. But... not even a King can help but look at something so publically displayed." He says hoping to reassure me.

It does not. It only heightens my worries, is she truly that beautiful that even a King cannot be blamed for wanting her. I can sense my jealously, simmering for now but threatening to boil over. I know what I am feeling is what all the others before me have felt, desperation to hang on when his attention begins to stray. It is strange for my mind is telling me not to react, he is yours, not hers, do not worry, but a part of me wants to scream from the palace walls. I have enjoyed his attention more than I ever thought possible and now there is a new emotion, I am seething like a harpy. It is the same off-putting behaviour that has destroyed the others, I feel like I am on slippery ice: Wavering about for balance but knowing I will eventually fall.

"Wine?" Philip asks.

My hand strays down to my stomach before I catch my actions and remove my hand to my side. "No, thank you." I say politely. It had started to taste strange to my changing senses.

My mind wanders to my other predicament, one that should be a happy occurrence, however, it is marred with uncertainty. I am now absolutely confident, it has been two, perhaps, three months without my monthly courses, I, am with child. I have told no one, I fear even my friend, Anne. I should feel enthusiastic achieving what I had been sent for, but it has made me feel alone in a court where you need friends to survive.

I shift uncomfortable, feeling watched. It is uncommon for me not to drink and although my stomach had begun to round it is a gentle curve and one that I have been able to hide, however, it will soon start rounding beyond my dresses and they will notice, I will be forced to leave his bed and I know where he will take his comfort.

Phillip looks at me oddly. I can only hope he takes my polite refusal for illness, but he has always been a dreamer and I think he may have already guessed my true reasoning. He would know soon enough in any case.

"When is Joan coming back to court?" I ask.

"I thought you two were in the midst of a falling out." He says sarcastically.

I smirk towards Phillip, unfamiliar in the bonds that hold sisters. "We are sisters, we will always forgive each other." I reply.

"You did not seem to care about her estrangement much before." He retorts.

I scowl at my brother's tone. "I was pre-occupied, and now I need her guidance. This court is suffocating and I need my family close, for we are a small trio, in a seething court of vipers, who follow blood and family ties before all else. You will no doubt understand when they turn on you." I say straight.

"No need to be all gloom and doom, Kat. He is only dancing with her, not everyone's out to get you." He says simply.

I can tell he is offended at my harsh words towards his new found friends, but, I do not have time to apologise for his words hit me, dancing? I look down the grand hall just in time to see the King's hand grasp Mary's.

"He is dancing with her?" I ask although I can see with my own eyes who he is paired with.

My courtly instincts kick in and I smile at my brother, laughing as I do so to his bemused expression. I want all those around to think I am conversing in pleasantries, a trick Anne taught me, to keep the vultures at bay. My eyes sweep the hall, to see if any had noticed my shocked outburst beforehand, but they are all watching the dancing before them, all but one, Anne. I catch her piercing eyes from across the room, full of pity. I glance away from her, there is something about her stare which reads deep into your soul finding out all your secrets. I do not need her pity, nor do I need her extracting the thoughts I hold most dear.

"It is just a dance," Philip replies and neither his words nor my own thoughts convince me of the fact.

Just when I think I can take his pairing no longer, and when the false smile is starting to ache does the King come over and offer his arm. I now smile more in relief, knowing that he has not been too besotted with the harlot to forget me completely. He grins using all his boyish charm as we make our way through the simple steps.

"I think this is one of my favourite pieces, easy enough to follow, so leaves more room for admiring," Henry says giving me an amorous look.

"I am only glad you finally asked me to pair with you," I say with a hint of anger in my voice, my mind replaying all the sideways glances he had produced for Mary's benefit today.

His eyes squint together slightly as he picks up on my mood, realising I am not inclined to play sweet lovers today. "What is that meant to mean, Katherine?" He asks.

"It is as I said. You seemed so besotted with Mary that I thought you had completely forgotten about me." I reply curtly.

I should know better, and I do, but my will is not strong enough to stop the words bubbling forth. He is the King of England, and I am recently nothing but a pot of emotions; anger, happiness, jealousy and tears all flowing together coming to the surface when they pleased, without my permission.

"You are mine in all ways, Kat. Mary is just a good friend who has been absent from court for a long time. I am allowed to dance with whom I choose." He says simply.

I bristle at his words, he is treating me like an uneducated peasant and does he think me so dumb to take that as a response. "She is not just a friend, she has been more to your Majesty."

"Jealous, Kat?" He smirks only raising my anger.

"It is not jealousy, but you have had relations with her and I do not want you near that strumpet," I say quickly my hackles rising.

The music comes to its natural stop and Henry bows to me quick and short, before bringing me in for what would appear a quick kiss on the cheek, but instead, he whispers to me. "I do not take orders from you, Kat. Do not make the mistake of thinking you are equal with me, I am your king and I shall talk, dance, and rutt with whoever I like." He smiles as we break and I find myself in shock not only for my words but his.