Chapter XXXVI

Chapter XXXVI

Mitch took a deep breath and propped himself up on the cot. He was in the room Sarm had previously used to bring him back to health. Fortunately, Sarm had been able to treat him immediately following the attack by the Minister of Science. Still sore as hell, he was on the mend.  

Mitch's mood brightened when Deborah walked into the room. After the hell they had been through, he would never take her presence for granted and would treasure every moment they spent together. 

"You feeling up to this?" Deborah asked.  

Mitch tried to get to his feet and then sat back down, groaning from the exertion. He could only walk gingerly, but Zolmethier, the Grand Emperor of the Twelve Circles, had requested his presence.  

Mitch grimaced. "I wouldn't want to keep the big guy waiting." 

She touched his face. "I'm sure he'd understand." 

Mitch waved his hand. "Are you kidding? I've been looking forward to this for ten friggin' years. Well, I was in a coma for half that time, but that's beside the point." 

"It could wait another day." 

Mitch shook his head. "Not another day. Not another minute." 

"I'll be by your side the whole time." 

Sarm peeked his head into the room. "As will I." 

"Don't you know it's rude to listen to other people's conversation?" Mitch asked.  

Sarm looked down. "My apologies. I have greater hearing acuity than humans." 

"I'm just joking, Sarm." 

Sarm's face lightened. "Oh." 

Mitch took a long breath. "All right, guys, help me up." 

Deborah grabbed one arm and Sarm the other. Together, they lifted him. 

Deborah frowned. "You have to go easy. Can you walk on your own?" 

"Sure." Mitch took one step and nearly collapsed.  

"I don't think so." Deborah put his arm over her shoulder.  

Sarm supported Mitch on the other side, and they exited the alien's research complex to the vessel they had used in their getaway.  

Merelda and Ruje stood outside. Her skin turned dark blue, the color that indicated she was worried. "You do not look well, Mitch." 

"Thanks for the compliment." 

Merelda's face tightened. "That is not what I mean. You need to heal." 

Mitch shrugged. "There will be time enough for that later. I took worse beatings in the arena." 

Ruje's left face laughed, while his right head bobbed up and down. "You speak the truth. Salandar crushed you."  

Mitch braced himself as Ruje was about to pat him on the back, but the alien held back at the last moment.  

"Is everything set?" Mitch asked.  

Ruje nodded his left head. "Zolmethier eagerly awaits your arrival." 

"Good. Let's get this show on the road." 

The alien contingent did not react to his words. Then Deborah said, "He means we should leave now." 

They boarded the vessel. Mitch cringed when Merelda took the pilot position.  

Sarm put his green hand on hers. "Perhaps I can navigate today. If you would like to have the co-pilot seat, I can show you a few tricks."