Chapter XXX

Chapter XXX

Mitch spoke into the audio transmitter. "Talk to me, Merelda." 

She spoke in hushed tones. "I will transmit the coordinates. You must make your attack after nineteen hundred tomorrow. The complex will be abandoned for seven hours." 

"Don't worry. We'll attack precisely at that time." 

"Will I see you again, Mitch?" 

"No. We have to be in and out as quickly as possible." 

Merelda grumbled. "Then perhaps next time." 

"We'll see. Thanks for your assistance." 

"I am glad to help." 

They ended their communication. Moments later, coordinates appeared on the transmitter Merelda had given him. He jotted them on a pad of paper.  

They were going to strike the heart of the aliens' data center, which held two buildings filled with sophisticated telecommunications equipment. Merelda had told him it was state of the art and extremely expensive. This would be a huge blow. Hopefully, it would make the aliens want to discontinue their commercial enterprises here. According to Merelda, many had voiced their displeasure to the Minister of Science after the last attack.  

Merelda was insistent that they only attack infrastructure and minimize collateral damage. Mitch would have liked to take out some of the aliens, but he needed Merelda's help, and he had to abide by her conditions.  

The last time they had attacked, Mitch, Deborah and Corey had met Merelda to scope out their target, a large alien community south of old Mexico. Since Los Angeles was their current target, it would have been too dangerous for Mitch since he would be too easily recognized, so Merelda had done all of the preparation.  

Mitch walked out of the Comm Center and gazed at the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean. During the previous week, they had transported an aircraft carrier and fighter planes from Ingleside across the Panama Canal to Coronado, Mitch's old training station with the SEALs.  

There was no way of telling if the Panama Canal would still be in working condition until they actually went through it. Fortunately, the aliens infrequently used the planet's waterways, so Mitch's fleet faced open seas.  

He turned when he felt a hand on his shoulder and relaxed when it was only Deborah.  

"What did Merelda say?" Deborah asked.  

"She gave us the green light. We can strike tomorrow at nineteen hundred." 

"Good. You should give the flyboys a pep talk. They're nervous." 

Mitch frowned. "This isn't their first aerial attack." 

Deborah nodded. "I know, but they sense that this one's bigger and riskier than the others. Plus, they look up to you. Hell, some idolize you. None of them have ever killed an alien in hand-to-hand combat." 

"All right, I'll talk to them. That sort of thing was unnecessary in the SEALs. Everyone had a job to do and they did it with little discussion." 

"Well, we live in a different world now. Dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes. That would be a good time to talk to the pilots." 

If Merelda was right, tomorrow would accomplish one of two things. It would frustrate the aliens enough so that many would pack their bags and leave, or force the Minister of Science to hunt down Mitch. Undoubtedly, when he had tried to attack the Minister after he fought Salandar, this had become a personal matter for the alien.