Chapter XXI

Chapter XXI

Mitch wanted to do something about the fire surrounding the community, but he had the distinct feeling that the danger posed by the fire and the aliens were one in the same.  

He knew it was a matter of time. There was no way they could operate so boldly without attracting the aliens' attention. He hoped before that happened, his forces would have mounted a major offensive.  

Why the hell does he want to talk to me?  

Mitch followed Goss, who said, "Looks like trouble, boss." 

At the edge of the town center, two enormous ships, about twice the size of luxury cruise liners, loomed in front of him. They were long and thin with shiny surfaces that glistened in the sun. They had smooth edges, unlike Sarm's sharp and angular vessel.  

In front of him stood a two-headed alien with spikes running down its back, the same damn alien that had tried to capture him when he had fled Sarm's compound. Based on the look the alien had given him back then, Mitch knew that he wouldn't give up his pursuit so easily.  

At the top of its neck, the spikes divided and a set ran up each head. It had smooth, green skin and the face of a tortoise. Its blue lips smacked even when it did not speak. This thing was ugly even for an alien. 

"Mitch Grace, I presume." The alien's words came out of its left mouth.  

Mitch nodded slowly. The heat from the fire was building. Sweat was pouring down his neck. He considered his possibilities. If he was quick enough, he could shoot the alien, but he didn't know what repercussions would come from the ships.  

"That's me." Mitch felt no fear. Perhaps because he had spent so much time with Sarm, he was no longer intimidated by them. "How can I help you?"  

The alien's right head nodded, while its left head turned. Watching this creature was disorienting. The alien informed him that the he had pissed off the ruling federation, and they had placed a substantial bounty for his capture. 

So this is it. He had a good run. He helped assemble a new society after coming back from the grave and gave people hope.  

"And you intend to collect this bounty?" Mitch asked. "I won't go down easy." 

"If I intended to dispose of you, you would already be dead. As you may have guessed, we are responsible for creating the fire. We have completely encased your community. There is no way out other than to go through a wall of flame. However, just as we have created the fire, we have capabilities of extinguishing it as well without a single member of your community being harmed. You eluded me once, Mitch Grace. Nobody eludes me." 

"So what do you want with me? Is this a personal matter since I bruised your ego, or is this about a reward?" 

Ruje moved forward, but his casual stance did not indicate that he was looking for a fight. "I seek no reward, nor is this personal. You have showed amazing resiliency and courage in the way you escaped me and have defied the ruling government. You are a fighter. That is why I have sought you. I have made agreement with Mogenheim, the chief marshal of Santanovia, that if I capture you, I can use you for the Games. You would be under my custody. I will mold you into a fabulous attraction that many will eagerly pay to see. This will generate more revenue than by collecting the bounty." 

Mitch sized up the alien. "The Games? What the hell are you talking about?" 

"Let me use a historical parallel. In your civilization's ancient history, your Romans enjoyed gladiator challenges. Am I right?"