Chapter V

Chapter V

"One foot in front of the other," Sarm said. "That is the way it must be done. Slowly and easily, you will make it." 

Mitch grunted, sweat dripping from his body as he gripped onto a metal railing. He wore a light blue hospital gown that Sarm must have pilfered from a hospital. He trembled from exertion. "I can't do it." 

"You can. I would not tell you if I did not think you were able." 

On the first day of Mitch's awakening, Sarm had tried to engage him in conversation, but Mitch had been reclusive. It had been hard for him to accept that he had been in a coma while his world had been taken over, and now his only companion was a tall, slender green alien. Sarm had left him alone, only returning to check Mitch's vitals, and perform other medical tasks. 

On the second day, Sarm had attempted to make him walk, but still angry and bitter, Mitch had refused to cooperate. Sarm would not relent, and by the third day, Mitch agreed to try. Now, he regretted that decision.  

The alien had started off by swinging Mitch's legs across the bed. Effortlessly, he lifted Mitch, but his legs were unsteady and he fell. After giving him a minute to recover, Sarm once more lifted him to his feet. He howled in pain, his legs shaking, but Sarm held him steadily. Mitch asked the alien to let him down, but Sarm would not let go.  

Sarm then asked him to step forward.  

"Just leave me alone," Mitch said.  

"It is for your own good that I am doing this. What you require is...perseverance. That is the word." 

"I can't do it." The floor was covered with Mitch's sweat. "Maybe tomorrow." 

"Let us not put off for tomorrow that of which has the possibility of being done today. You have shown sufficient resiliency by surviving your most trying ordeal. If you are the one to do that, then you can do this. You must persevere, Mitch. Show me of what your species is capable." 

A cold glint surfaced in Mitch's blue eyes. His face tightened. He grunted as he moved his left foot forward. 

"Superb," Sarm shouted. "That is the action that I wanted." 

Mitch closed his eyes and took a long breath. That last step had been excruciating. 

"The next one will be done with more ease." 

Mitch cursed loudly as he moved his left leg forward.  

"That is the way. You have made it far. Now is not the time to halt." 

"Bring me back to the bed," Mitch said.  

Sarm shook his head. "You have not walked enough to complete my satisfaction." 

"Screw you." 

"Curious expression. I will have to look for it in your literature. More effort, please." 

Mitch did not want to continue, but Sarm would not relent. The sterile, white walls provided him no inspiration. He stared at the curious looking alien. Although he did not care for Sarm since he was one of them, he sensed that the alien was genuinely trying to help him. He took a deep breath and continued walking.  

Mitch took four tedious steps, and Sarm clapped his hands. He motioned for Mitch to continue. He took two more steps. Sarm nodded. After four more steps, Sarm gathered him in his arms. "I knew you had the fortitude inside to ensure the completion of the task."  

Reluctantly Mitch thanked the alien. Without his help, Mitch would never have been able to start walking.  

Sarm had explained to him how difficult his recovery would be. "Indeed. My research indicates that many of your basic functions will now become laborious. In addition, you will need to be retrained in some of your formerly routine tasks such as eating and dressing."