Chapter XXVII

Chapter XXVII

As Takano sealed a gaping wound on Mitch's shoulder with a laser, Merelda paced around the room, located inside of Ruje's training center. It served as a combination surgical suite, physician's office, and convalescing center that was loaded with sophisticated machinery. Ruje spared little expense in keeping his athletes healthy. They were like work horses to him. "You are fortunate that you were in front of a large audience in the arena and many more viewing live around the universe. Your outburst at the Minister of Science could have resulted in your being imprisoned or worse." 

Mitch bit back the pain. Normally Takano's anesthetics were effective, but these wounds were the most severe he had ever suffered. "I couldn't help myself. You can't understand what it was like when I saw that bastard." 

"You think you're the first being whose homeland has been occupied? It has happened repeatedly throughout history." 

Mitch cringed as Takano inserted a syringe into his abdomen. "Maybe I'm just sensitive." 

Takano slithered across the floor and put away the syringe, then screeched something Mitch couldn't understand.  

"Stay completely still for the next procedure," Merelda instructed.  

Mitch nodded and the alien fed a tiny scope into Mitch's abdomen. He watched in lurid fascination as this device entered his body. Amazingly, he could not feel it as it penetrated him. Takano was nothing short of a wizard with her advanced instruments and techniques.  

Mitch's stomach tightened as the pain intensified. He clenched his fist and did his best to stay still.  

After two minutes, the pain receded and Takano removed the probe. She had been working on him for the past two hours, and he hoped they were nearly through.  

Merelda stood in front of him, her voice low. "It was not wise to confront the Minister like that. He is not known to forgive. You must make yourself scarce." 

Mitch's face narrowed. "I'm not going to hide and I won't stop until I reclaim the planet." 

Merelda folded her arms. "Or wind up dead." 

"If it comes down to that." 

"It will. Mitch, this is a losing proposition. Why do you want to stay here? There are opportunities around the galaxy for someone of your skills and fame. You can do great things." 

"That doesn't interest me." 

Merelda's blue-green skin turned a shade of purple, showing her annoyance.  

Ruje entered the room. "I enjoyed the stunt you perpetrated in front of the Minister. I never liked that scoundrel. Of course, I would not show my displeasure in that manner." Ruje exchanged words with Takano. "After Takano is finished, she will remove your tracking device and you will be free." 

A few minutes later, Merelda handed Mitch a vial. "Drink this. It will extract the tracking mechanism." 

"With pleasure." Mitch downed the bitter green liquid. His eyes opened wide. It seemed like the inside of his body shifted.  

Mitch got to his knees and retched. He looked up, but the aliens remained impassive. It felt like he was going to vomit out his insides. Mucous came out of his nostrils, and blood rushed to his face.  

Mitch opened his mouth, and a small black critter came out. Takano gathered the critter inside of a blue box.  

Ruje extended a hand and raised Mitch to his feet. "You are free, Mitch Grace. However, our relationship is not required to be at a conclusion."