Chapter XXXIV

Chapter XXXIV

Mitch's body tensed as they flew over Sarm's medical compound. He found no indication of the alien's presence. There were three buildings, but no activity. Mitch tried to keep calm, telling himself that Sarm could still be there.  

Deborah pursed her lips. "What do you want to do?" 

"Let's land and cross our fingers." 

Mitch lowered the vessel. After leaving the cave, he had continually checked the viewfinder and three-dimensional panoramic screen looking for that damn salenko or enemy aircraft.  

He landed the vessel, shut down the controls and led Merelda and Deborah out of the hatch.  

"Should we make our presence known?" Merelda asked.  

Mitch shook his head. In case Sarm had left, he didn't want to alert anyone else of their presence.  

They turned the corner, and footsteps came in their direction. Merelda drew a gun and stepped forward, while Mitch and Deborah waited behind her. A limb as green as grass emerged.  

Sarm shrieked when he stepped in front of Merelda. Mitch brought her gun hand down as Sarm tripped over his own legs and stumbled to the ground.  

Mitch scurried past Merelda to held Sarm. He could tell the alien had been horribly frightened.  

Sarm's narrow mouth opened wide. "Mitch Grace, the heavens come down, it is you. I never expected to see you again. It is a glorious day." 

Mitch grinned, pulled the alien to his full eight feet of height, and hugged Sarm. "It's good to see you. I wish it were under better circumstances, but damn, it's good to see you." 

Sarm rubbed his thin fingers together. "Your situation is not well." 

"We're ten miles from well." He introduced Sarm to Merelda and Deborah.  

Sarm's face lit up. "You are the Deborah who Mitch spoke of?" 

Deborah nodded. 

"It is a pleasure to have you met." Sarm extended his hand - a gesture Mitch had taught him - and Deborah shook it. "He spoke of you in grand terms. We thought that you were dead" 

Deborah smiled. "I'm alive and I'm glad to finally meet you. You're living proof that not all aliens are bad, although I can't say I'm fond of the rest of your kind." 

Mitch glanced at Merelda. If she took offense, she didn't show it.  

Sarm scratched the back of his head. "I am understanding your feelings. It is not easy to have one's planet occupied. So, Mitch, what causes you to visit me after all this elapsed time?" 

With all of the time apart, apparently Sarm was adopting his old speech patterns. Mitch took a deep breath. "Where do I start?" 

Sarm gestured for the others to follow him inside. "Perhaps you can start with the time prior to your emergence as The Gladiator." 

Mitch's eyes went wide. "You knew about that?" 

"I followed you from afar. I could never bring myself to be witness your combative experiences. I had too much concern that a bad outcome would befall you. However, I made sure to view the telecasts only after learning that you emerged victorious. I abhor violence, but I had to see it. On more than one occasion I contemplated visiting you after your battle to attend to your wounds, but I knew you would be well attended." 

Mitch crossed his arms. "Well, let me fill you in on what happened after I left this lap of luxury." 

Sarm said nothing as Mitch told his tale. Meanwhile, Merelda moved the vessel inside the complex to conceal it.