Chapter XXXV

Chapter XXXV

"Move, prisoner," Ruje shouted.  

Mitch looked down as he trudged toward the massive skyscraper. He wore a slave collar around his neck. Once more, he was Ruje's prisoner.  

Aliens gaped as Ruje led him up the smooth surface of the path leading to the building. Instead of concrete that humans typically used, the walkway's surface was made of some shiny, ruby-red acrylic material.  

Earlier, Ruje had contacted the Minister of Science to inform him that he had once more captured the human who had caused so much consternation in Santanovia. When Mitch's people had started on their path of destruction after his release, the Minister had offered Ruje a sizeable bounty for Mitch's capture. Until now, Ruje had refused these overtures because he had been busy promoting the Games, having gained prestige due to Mitch's immense popularity as The Gladiator.  

Ruje shouted something at aliens nearby, causing them to scatter. One of Ruje's faces had a mean scowl; the other remained fixed on his prisoner.  

They stepped onto an open transpod. Within seconds a clear casing enclosed them. Ruje entered coordinates on the transpod and it gave a slight purr before lifting off the ground and shooting toward the skyscraper. Inside, the Minister awaited their arrival.  

Mitch thought the Minister would have made a public spectacle of his arrest, so all could see he was truly in control of Santanovia. Making this private could only mean one thing - he was going to kill Mitch.  

"Are you prepared for this, prisoner?" Ruje asked.  

Mitch nodded.  

"The Minister will be most pleased by your capture." 

"I'm sure he will," Mitch said.  

"I imagine the bounty will be quite substantial." 

"It won't be nearly as much as the money I made for you." 

Ruje's left face smiled. "How true. I have expanded my promotion of the Games in several different solar systems as a result of this new income."  

He drove the transpod into a cylindrical hatch. The hatch shot upward. Mitch had no idea how far they ascended, but it seemed like the ride would never end. The Minister of Science had to be in the penthouse suite.  

They did not speak on the ride. There was nothing left to say.  

Mitch's heartbeat accelerated as they exited the shoot. This was the end of the line.  

The transpod traveled through a winding corridor and made a sudden stop in front of the Minister's suite. He felt instant revulsion when he laid eyes on the short alien. His face was dark and furry, reminiscent of a raccoon. He had massive claws and spiked forearms. Physically, he didn't look impressive, but Mitch knew not to underestimate him.  

The Minister of Science smiled, showing two rows of sharp teeth. He wiggled his fingers and shot forward. For a moment, Mitch thought the Minister was going to attack him, but he stopped short. "If it isn't the Gladiator. Mitch Grace, you have been a nuisance. I underestimated you. I never thought a species so worthless could produce someone who could create such trouble. Had I known, I never would have let you live on the first day we met." 

Mitch's eyes narrowed. "So you remembered me?" 

The Minister stepped forward. "You were wary, with good reason." 

He wanted to keep the Minister talking. "Do you know what happened to me during the attack?" 

The Minister waved his hand. "Why would I care about one worthless human?"