-| 19 / inside job |-

Acting like she hated Edgar during dinner was extremely difficult for Caroline, but it needed to be done in order to convince her father that there was nothing amiss with the duke and his son being invited back to the palace.

After they were done dining, everyone but Caroline, Phoebe, Esmeralda and Edgar returned to their rooms. The four teenagers met out in an empty servant room to discuss what the secret message in the princess' letter was about.

"Wait, so you want me to ask my dad about your dad's plans? I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm up for it. I mean, I could, but it's going to be tough and what happens if they find out?", Edgar paced around the room anxiously.

"They're not going to, if you play your cards right. No one knows the real reason why you're here but the people in this room and trust me when I say that they hate my father so much, that they would never, ever tip him off about what's actually going on. Besides, your father doesn't really seem like the suspicious type...", Caroline replied.

"He isn't, but that doesn't mean I can pull this off! I'm not a good liar.", Edgar crossed his arms and shrugged.

"Oh, really? Because the first time I met you, you were pretty good when acting like an airhead Prince Charming."

"That's how I was raised, it was an act I'd been performing for years. How am I even supposed to make my dad tell me top secret plans between him and the goddamn king?"

"You just have to ask. You're obviously not really into politics, but your father is and probably wants you to be a good heir who will live up to his name and reputation. If you show the slightest interest in this kind of business, he's quite possibly going to be so excited, that he'll tell you anything you want."

"You don't know that, Caroline."

"Look, this is far too important to have doubts right now. If we don't find out what's going on, we won't be able to stop it and people are going to die. The least you can do is try.", Phoebe jumped into the conversation, crossing her arms.

"No pressure.", Edgar rolled his eyes.

"Welcome to my life.", she smirked.

"Fine, I'll do what you're asking me. Mostly because Phoebe didn't just guilt me into it, but she also scares the hell out of me.", he added.

"Aw, thanks!", Phoebe smiled, placing a hand over her heart.

"Don't... mention it...", Edgar replied hesitantly, eyeing her with terror in his eyes. Esmeralda, once again, found herself fighting to not laugh.

"Now that that's cleared up, we need to come up with a plan. You can't just go to your dad and ask him about government secrets right after your welcome dinner here. You should wait for a few days- a week at most.", Caroline changed the subject.

"A week sounds good enough. I mean, it's not too long and your dad, most probably, won't get suspicious.", Esmeralda shrugged, turning her attention to Edgar. "The fate of the kingdoms rests upon your shoulders...", she added dramatically, placing her hands on his shoulders as she said that. This time, it was Phoebe's turn to snicker during her attempt to suppress her fit of laugher.

Edgar gulped. "No pressure.", he repeated.

"Trust me, this is the least dangerous thing we've done the past month or so.", Caroline tried to reassure him.

"Do I want to know?", he eyed them suspiciously.

"Even if you do, it's getting late, so we should save this story for another time.", the princess clicked her tongue.

"Fair point. I'm exhausted from the trip anyway...", Edgar yawned.

"Goodnight! See you tomorrow!", Esmeralda jumped up and down excitedly as they exited the room and went their own different ways to return to their bedrooms.