Chapter 16

Christmas break was over and everything seemed like normal at school again.  I was able to eat with the friends I had missed so much and my teachers were happy to have me back.  Mrs. Garcia knew what happened to spring me back to myself, I was so glad I had her to listen when no one else could.  I knew she was one of my teachers but she had become like a best friend to me.  Every day I made the best of it, we had only about five months until everything was going to change.  I shook my head to clear my thoughts of change and tried to focus on something more important, the Sadie’s Hawkins dance.  Each of us had worked so hard to ask the boys to the dance, we even got Matt’s little girlfriend involved.  He had met her about a month ago at his job, who would have thought she went to our school the whole time?  She was about five foot nothing, and had the prettiest long black hair I had ever seen.  She was a very petite girl with the darkest brown eyes, but it worked for her.  Sadie ended up sharing a class with her after Matt introduced her to us, those two were getting closer by the day.  Each of us had made a different puzzle out of different things to ask the boys to Sadie’s.  Sadie hid pieces all over Ben’s room at his house that made a shape of a heart.  Devyn had left puzzle pieces in each of Sean’s classes making a shape of a blown up paper note.  She tried her hardest to make it look just like a note you fold up and pass around in class.  Serenity was Matt’s girlfriend and put little hints on music notes for him to meet her in the choir room to see who held the melody to his heart.  It was actually really cute the way she did it.  I decided to leave a baseball in each of Nick’s classes to hint where to find me.  Since he was such a fan of baseball I decided I would ask him on the pitcher’s mound after school, the coach used to be my Chemistry Honors teacher, so he said he would push back practice for a little.

                I decided today that I would wear one of my quarter sleeve baseball shirts.  It was white with navy blue arms that I paired with a pair of dark blue jeans and my white high tops.  I had packed my glove in my backpack this morning while Nick was taking a shower to pitch the last ball.  I heard him walking towards the baseball field so I hurried up and took my spot on the mound ready to throw the last ball.  I made a mental note to thank Mr. Chettmen for the rest of this year for the baseballs and the time on the field.  Nick took a step on the field and the moment he saw me the look in his eyes about made my knees buckle.  I tossed the ball up and caught it getting ready to throw it to him.  I lifted my knee and swung my arm gently, I wasn’t trying to make him work for it.  He caught the ball with his hand without even flinching from my throw.  I saw him start to shake his head and laugh to himself.  He slowly jogged over to me and grabbed my face with both of his strong hands.  My whole world was held in the palm of his hands, I would do anything for this boy.  “Kadence baby you surprise me more and more every day.  You have to know how much I love you baby.  This was the cutest thing you have ever done and I would be more than happy to go with you.”  He gently brushed his lips against mine and a small moan escaped my lips.  I loved the way his touch made my body feel and I loved the way his kisses sent goose bumps down my back.  I kissed him once more before he had to head into the locker room and get ready for practice that I sat on the bleachers and watched daily.  I was waiting for Devyn to stop over here and let me know what Sean thought but something felt weird.  Usually by now at least the coach was standing out here talking to me about the plays he had come up with but today I was alone.  I texted Devyn asking how much longer she would be and I never received a text back. 

                It felt like eyes were burning through me and I wasn’t sure if I was sitting here letting my mind get to me or if someone like Nate was watching me closer than usual.  I heard a loud screech come from the visitor side of the baseball field and I immediately stood up making my way to the boy’s locker room when I heard footsteps.  My heart was beating so hard I swore anyone would be able to hear it.  My breathing was racing so fast I could barely get any air in.  I was almost at the door when Josh ran out of the door and smacked right into me.  As soon as he saw me lying on the floor having a panic attack he scooped me up in his arms and sat me down on a rock.  “Kadence…Kadence look at me, focus on me sweetie.  You need to breathe sweetie.  Come on do it with me, in your nose out your mouth ok?”  I did as Josh said focusing on just his soft brown eyes.  Josh was another one of the really good baseball players who was also heading out to Oregon with us.  “Kadence what the hell made you freak out?”