Chapter 5

That week at school I tried to keep to myself even more than usual.  I was trying to understand why Nate and his friends brought out girls when two of them were off the market pretty much.  Mrs. Garcia noticed that I wasn’t myself that much for the past couple days.  She had asked me to stay after class and assured me that if I ever needed to talk to someone that she was always there to listen.  I loved Mrs. Garcia she was probably the best teacher I could ask for.  She knew about my past already and always pushed me to do good.  She was definitely the best supporter I had.  I had become so close to her it was enough for her to read my expressions.  She knew when something was eating me from the inside out.  I hadn’t decided to talk about my relationship with anyone yet but I think it was time that I ask someone as an outside perspective.  After school I ran to the gym and told coach I had to stay after for a class assignment, I knew Mrs. Garcia would write me a note so I wasn’t nervous about telling them that.  I started to walk back to Mrs. Garcia’s room while convincing myself that Nate was just having a bad weekend and that’s why he had been such an ass.  Part of it could have been my fault too I shouldn’t have called him that late at night.  He was picking me up after practice today to take me out to dinner so we could talk about what had happen, but first I had to get it off my chest.  I wasn’t nervous to talk about his grumpy attitude I was worried more about the fact that the boy had told me he loved me.   Nick was the only other boy to tell me that and he didn’t say it until we were about six months into the relationship.  I knocked on the door to Mrs. Garcia’s door and she immediately waved me in.  “Kadence, sweetie how can I help?  You ok?”

“Uhm Mrs. Garcia, you uhm, you don’t have anyone coming in here today right?”

“No I don’t I was just catching up on some grading.  What is it that you wanted to talk about?”  I took a deep breath and let it slowly.

“Ok so you know the new guy I started dating, well lately he has…changed.  He gets mad at the most ridiculous stuff, and last night he said I love you, and I don’t know what to do because how do you say to someone after almost two months?  He doesn’t let me see my friends…eat the food I want to eat, he even told me to stop the sweets so I don’t gain weight.”  Before I could say anything Mrs. Garcia was wrapping me in a hug, I didn’t even notice I had started crying, I was that upset.

“Sweetie you need to get out of that relationship, pronto.  No excuses Kadence.”  I sat there for a couple more minutes letting her calm me down.  “Sweetheart if you need any help, let me know, ok?”  I shook my head and started to head out the door.

                I could see Nick staring at me with confusion written all over his face.  All I could think to myself was oh god he knows something is wrong please don’t come over here.  I heard him jogging over to me so I started to pick up speed and head to the locker room, it was the only place I knew he couldn’t come.  I could not do this right now, facing Ben was one thing but facing Nick who I still deep down loved was a nightmare.  I thought dating another guy would help me move on from Nick but I just can’t.  He means the world to me and I can’t stand to let him see me hurt.  I was so upset the tears just started to flow.  My face had become swollen and red and my body had been so sore from being so tense the last couple days.  My coach came running in slouching down next to me.

“Kadence sweetie shh it will be ok, can you tell me what is wrong?  I thought you were staying after for class” Coach seemed so concerned.