Chapter 9

Kadence

                I woke up to the sound of Nate talking, I was half asleep so I was unable to make a clear understanding of who he was talking to.  I realized I was in a bed with his t-shirt on, putting me in a sudden panic.  Oh my god did I sleep with him?  Did I let him take the most special part of me?  He must have noticed that I was a little freaked out, because he dropped by the bed rubbing my face with his fingers.  “Hey baby, we didn’t do what you think we did, I just didn’t want you to sleep in your clothes.”  He kissed my forehead and nodded his head towards the shower.  I quickly jumped up running to the bathroom still trying to understand how I got in his t-shirt.  I quickly stripped out of his clothes and hopped in the shower.  As I was washing my body, I couldn’t help but notice the bruises I found all over myself.  Majority of the ones I was looking at was just older ones that were fading away.  I told Devyn yesterday that I remembered what happened but the truth was that I had only known what Nate told me.  I went to start washing my hair when my head started to hurt on the side whenever I had touched it.  I could feel some sort of lump on my head, and then it dawned on me.

                Nate had slapped me so hard that I hit the ground hard enough to knock me out.  I didn’t faint and take a hard fall like he said.  I started to remember piece by piece little by little.  I needed to get myself out of this situation sooner than later.  Devyn was right about everything, Nick was better for me, Nate was a prick, and so many other things about this relationship.  Nate snapped me out of my thoughts, he started banging on the door impatiently.  “Kadence what the hell are you taking so long for?  Are you messing around or are you starting to get dizzy again?  Please answer me.”  Nate had so much anger in his voice but also some serious concern mixed in there as well.  I quickly shut the water off and dried myself off, lord knows I didn’t want him mad at me again.  I walked out of the bathroom relieved to feel the fresh cool air hit my wet face.  I went over to change into my clothes that I had on yesterday, I really wasn’t expecting to stay the night we were only going to be there for the day.  Nate came up behind me wrapping his strong arms around me.  My body stiffened, I was so afraid he was going to hurt me again, but instead he planted a small kiss on the side of my head asking me if I was ready to go.

                Saying the ride home was quiet was an understatement.  Nate didn’t say a single word to me, nor did I want to bring anything up.  I couldn’t handle the silence so I finally spoke.  “Did you enjoy yourself at the park?  I had a really great time.”  I had no idea what else to say, I didn’t want to bring up the fact that he nearly put me in a concussion.  He stayed silent for a couple of minutes making my insides tremble.  Please god let him just answer, please don’t let him get upset.  He finally put his hand on my thigh rubbing it gently back and forth.  Within seconds his grip became stronger as he dug his fingers into the sides of my thighs.  I tried not to yelp, last time I yelped it just made him even madder.  I clamped my teeth on the inside of my cheek hoping that it would keep me from screaming in pain.  Finally he spoke to me.  “Kadence god damn it, don’t you ever know when to shut your mouth?  Can I not have a nice quiet ride home?  Jesus I dealt with you pathetic whining and complaining all evening yesterday!  Just shut up.”  I was in shock, he caused me to hit my head so hard it knocked me out and he is yelling at me to basically give him his space.  I couldn’t wait to get home.

                Nate parked in his drive way with a sudden stop.  He grabbed my stuff and shoved it in my car without saying a single word to me.  I couldn’t understand what I did wrong, the only way to find out was to ask.  The only trouble with that was possibly getting my face bashed in.  He caught my attention when he slammed the door shut and started walking towards his front door.  Was he mad because I didn’t give him my virginity yet?  None of this made sense to me I did nothing at all to make him mad.  The Nate Peters I had fallen for, the sweet breath taking guy, was no longer here anymore.  Instead the asshole who thought it was ok to beat his girlfriend was alright, was back.  I got in my car, making my way to Devyn’s house.  We needed to talk about what happened, I had to warn her not to say anything or she would get hurt.  I could never let that happen to anyone, let alone my best friend.