Chapter 10

Nick

                I loved nights like this, Kadence in my arms, watching her sleep.  I know she is hiding something about that stupid bastard, but pushing her to talk about it will only push her away.  I need to be there for her, she will open up when she is ready.  She slept so peacefully next to me, I always hoped to have this in the future.  She was the perfect girl for me, she fit perfectly in my arms, next to me, and personality wise we couldn’t have been a better match.  I couldn’t really sleep a lot when she was in my arms, I wanted to spend the whole night watching her.  She was absolutely beautiful like this, she was pure and natural.  It killed me every time I slept with her like this, I wanted to touch every inch of her body.  When she was ready, I was going to show her how much I love her and need her.  She will always be the girl I can’t live without, it’s been that way since we were little.  The first time I knew I was in love with her, was the day we played house under the willow tree at my grandma’s house.  I gave her a watermelon ring pop and I wore grape, we got married that day.  Just thinking about it always made me laugh a little, I kept my promise that I made under the willow tree.  I would never let anyone hurt her in any way, I knew Nate was hurting her, and it was killing me inside.

                My alarm went off at about four thirty in the morning, I always set it that way so I can get ready run outside and act like I was at the front door.  It was kind of like a routine whenever I fell asleep at Kadence’s house.  The things I did for her was indescribable, and she knew it, I would never really do this for anyone else.  I crawled out of her bed gently letting her sleep a little longer while I got dressed.  While I was changing I heard her speak so softly making my heart race.  I turned around to put my attention directly on her.   “Nick come back to bed.”  She sounded so innocent, kind of seductive at the same time it was driving me mad.  Was she going to pretend to be sick again?  My parents wouldn’t care if I skipped school, as long as my grades were up it didn’t matter.  I sat down next to her placing my hand on her cheek.  “Kadence we have school, don’t you want to see Devyn and Sadie?”  I knew the right thing was to go but deep down I prayed she would say no.

“Nicholas I see them all the time, I just want to stay home and hang out with you.  I don’t want to be around people today.  I would also like to explain to you what is going on, but please promise you won’t do anything?”  I never saw Kadence look at me with so much entreating in her eyes.  Letting out a loud sigh I finally answered her.

“OK Kadence I will skip school today, and I promise I won’t do anything stupid as long as you know it’s killing me inside that you are always showing up with new bruises.  But because you are scared, I won’t do anything until you give me the OK.”  The only part that sucked about this, I had to hide until both of the parents were gone.  I hated this part, it never really happened a lot though so when it did I sucked it up and hid at the top of her closet. 

                After about seven in the morning the house was empty and both cars were gone.  Kadence had told her aunt that she was just warn out and needed to catch up on her rest.  A lot of times her parents didn’t mind either as long as she had the grades it was ok.  Kadence hadn’t always had the easiest life, she lost her mom and her father had walked out when she was about three.  I was always the one that she leaned on for emotional support.  She was my best friend who turned into the one.  I climbed down and walked out of her closet, I couldn’t help but stare at her.  “Nick, will you come hold me again for a little?”  I could never tell her no, no matter how much it hurt me inside.  I went to crawl into bed with her again when she stopped me.  “Can you get back in your pajamas?”  I nodded taking my clothes back off.  I had no idea where this was going but I wasn’t going to argue.  I laid back down in her bed, wrapping my arm around her tightly I placed a soft kiss on her shoulder.  She meant the world to me, I would do anything for this girl, I just want to give her the whole world.  I knew something was on her mind from her facial expression.