Chapter 13

Before we left I made it a must to ride Diamond Dancer one more time.  The connection I had with this horse was unreal.  It was like she knew everything about me, I felt completely myself and free when I was on her.  Nick always made fun of me but he knew exactly how I felt, Big Ben was probably a better friend to him than an actual human.  Diamond Dancer came to a halt in the middle of the fields, this was so beautiful, I couldn’t imagine having a life out here.  I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath of the fresh air.  I could smell a mixture of fresh wild flowers, the moisture of the rain, and the smell of the stables.  I leaned down to pet my Diamond girl down the crest “You see this girl, one day I will be able to ride you any time I want.  I love it out here Diamond can you see it?  Me and Daddy running the ranch, breeding some of the best race horses?”  I felt Diamond stay so calm underneath me, her breathing was even with mine, I knew I wouldn’t see her for at least another couple weeks.  I wanted to give this girl one good run before we left.  I pressed my heels into her sides signaling to take off.  The more I did it the faster she went, the wind against my face was the best feeling ever.  As we got closer to the stables I started to slow her down when I saw Nick just staring at me.  I brought Diamond to a stop not breaking the stare with Nick, he was leaned against the stable wall with his arms crossed. 

“How was your race against the wind Kadence baby?”  I flashed him a smile quickly.

“Nick, Diamond Dancer can’t wait to have me here permanently.  We had a nice talk, she agrees it is the best thing for me.  But to answer your question sweetie, yes I did.  I haven’t done that in so long, I missed it so much.”

“I noticed, unfortunately you have to leave your precious diamond and come home with me.  There is a storm heading in so I got to get the horses ready and then we will head home.”  I gave Nick a quick kiss on the lips and started to walk Diamond into the stalls. 

                I said my last goodbyes to the horses and we jumped in the truck.  As soon as we exited the ranch the rain came down strong.  I felt Nick grab my hand and I felt that familiar shiver go through my body.  I looked over at him and my heart felt like it burst with love, he was more than perfect for me.  I couldn’t believe what this boy did to me.  “Kadence, before we leave I just wanted to make sure that last night is exactly what you wanted?” he stared in my eyes with so much love.  I took a deep breath and told him the most honest answer I could come up with.  “It was amazing, but the only thing I would change is add some rain, I have never had my kiss in the rain baby.”  I winked at Nick giving him the most seductive smile I could.  Before I knew it the truck was in park and Nick was opening my door.  The rain was coming down so fast he was soaked already from head to toe.  He took my hand and helped me out of the truck slamming the door shut while pulling me towards him.  I could feel his hot breath against my lips making my body want him more and more every second.  Before I knew it Nick locked me in one of the most romantic kisses I have ever experienced.

                I felt Nick pull away catching his breath, he never once took his eyes off of me.  I could see how much he loved me just in the way he looked at me.  I could see this boy would do anything for me in a blink of an eye.  “You are the only one that makes me feel like this Kadence, if we weren’t so close to the main road I would have already taken you here and now.”  I felt my knees get weak quickly, if Nick wasn’t holding me up I would have already hit the ground.  “Nick I wish we could just stay here forever, this moment, its more than perfect.  I love you so much.”  I felt Nick cup my face in his hand wiping my cheek bones so gently with his rough thumb.  I didn’t want to go home, I didn’t want to face Nate, I wanted to run away to our fairytale perfect life.  Knowing that I was on my way home, left a painful feeling in my stomach.  I knew something was wrong, something bad was going to happen eventually.  I felt a soft kiss on my forehead “Babe, stop, I know what we are going home too.  Just a little longer ok?  We can do this, together.  It will work and we will be fine.”  I turned to get in the truck, I knew he was trying to make me feel better but we both knew this was going to be a long battle.  We drove silently at first, I stared out the window to watch the meadows go on and on for days.  Before I knew it I was fast asleep.