Chapter One - Edited

Chapter One

Beep!

...

Beep!

...

Beep!

...

Picking up the alarm clock that had awoken her from her peaceful slumber - the young girl threw it against the wall and the telltale sound of metal shattering indicated she would have to replace it sooner rather than later. For the millionth time since starting school, she cursed the idiot who deemed it fit to create such a monstrous device to torture those already being put through the seven rings of hell that was high school. She wanted them to rot for the continuous crimes they appear to commit against teenagers - and yet she classed it as a crime as it killed any hopes of being free with the horrible repetitive ear piercing beeping awakening her from blissful dreams of a quiet life.

There is more than one reason that Jailean detested alarm clocks, besides the obvious annoying sounds it creates, there is also the fact that the beeping signals the start of another 7 hours of pure torture in what was known as Charleton high school - home to the evil known as teachers and students alike.

Jai wasn't popular in her school for numerous reasons.

1. She, along with the rest of the student body hated her appearance with waist-length hair that is so dark a brown it appears black in certain situations but it wasn't glossy or sleek hair, no, its so much worse because it's frizzy and no matter how hard she tried and try she did , it refused to be tamed. Along with frizzy hair, there was the dull blue eyes which normally signify beauty, but not in her case because she was anything but beautiful with frizzy hair, dull blue eyes, a button nose and dry pink lips. Now, while not disgustingly ugly alone, paired with acne scars and braces, I can honestly say that I am not beautiful in the slightest.

2. She got on the wrong side of the wrong person on her first day after her mother for all intensive purposes Clarice passed away. Whitney, by making her look really stupid for not knowing that it was the Americans who dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and not the Japanese because well, they'd have to be pretty damn stupid to release a bomb on your own country that causes genetic defects and kills thousands. Ever since that day, her and her followers were after Jailean and turned the whole student body against her as well as making the teachers turn a blind eye every time she entered a classroom with a new bruise to add to her collection along with a further broken spirit.

3. She was the only one attending the school who had to work for a living without getting everything handed to her on a silver platter. Working at Starbucks wasn't the most desirable job nor did it pay particularly well - the only positive was that it had flexible hours, allowing the poor girl time to do her studying.

Dragging herself out of bed, she found herself in the shower 10 minutes later where she had enough time to wash and lather her hair in richly scented oils before jumping out and doing her daily routine of throwing her hair into a carelessly messy bun. The time to think in the shower and reflect upon her life with the music playing reminded her that there were other people in the world enduring much worse circumstances than herself - meaning she should be grateful for everything she received, even if she couldn't share it with her biological parents since her father had never returned and she had never known her mother.

Walking to the wardrobe situated inside of her tiny apartment, she plucked out the first things she was able to lay her hands on - some leggings and a sleeping with sirens shirt. Regardless of what she wore, her beating was inevitable. She hadn't done Whitney's homework for her and for that there was no avoiding the beating she was destined to receive for such a crime. It didn't take long to slip them and some running shoes on and it wasn't long until Jailean was heading towards school - having to hurry to avoid being late the third time in as many days.

Checking the old watch, the young girl noted she would be late regardless of how fast she walked. There was no avoiding the inevitable at this late point.

Pulling out her iPhone 4 she hoped to deafen herself to drown out all of the degrading comments that would more than likely be thrown her way once again. The insults. The abuse. The hatred. The vulnerable girl didn't need to be told she was ugly, her opinion of herself was low enough as it was. If she was pretty, maybe she would be accepted. Maybe then and only then would she not be called ugly constantly, maybe then her father would come back knowing he wouldn't have to be embarrassed of his mess of a daughter any longer. He could be dead and she wouldn't even know.

Deciding upon something that wasn't typically her choice, it wasn't long until One Direction and Little Things were blasting through her headphones - deafening all the degrading comments with their melodious harmonies and peaceful lyrics. A change to her normal music.

Without knowing the exact reason, Jailean loved that song. She knew that she had to thank Whitney for at least one thing; introducing her to them with her constant whining about how they would all fall in love with her. She didn't know how anyone could fall in love with such a manipulative girl of free will, whenever he long term boyfriend Whiley wasn't around she would do nothing other than voice her opinion of other boys. She should be happy with Whiley. They had been together since long before Jai transferred to this school.

Strange.

**********Time lapse**********

Walking into the car park, she looked around cautiously - ensuring those who hated her weren't present. She began to sprint towards the main hall but, as usual, luck was against her.

"Well well well boys, what do we have here....."