Three // The Little Things.

{Louis' POV}

During the weeks that followed, what I had predicted was true, for the most part. Harry and I's relationship was still downgraded to a short hi time to time as whenever we saw each in the halls, and that was it. Except one time, his friend Liam didn't show up in our history class one day and ironically Zayn was absent that day as well, so before class started he came up to me, and just started chatting with me for the time being. Those were the best 3 minutes of my life. Don't judge, 3 minutes is a long time in some cases. We weren't talking about anything particular, and he was mostly the one talking but I didn't mind at all. All that mattered was he was talking to me! I couldn't believe my luck and sort of wished that Zayn and Liam would be absent for maybe another day or two but that seemed selfish of me. But what can I say? I always dreamed about the day Harry would talk to me for more than a second, & it miraculously came true. His voice is like heaven, but I think comparing his voice to heaven is an understatement. Every time we both were laughing, that's when his dimples really showed, and to me, his laugh and his dimples sorta make me melt inside like a ice lolly on a hot day. Simple, but effective.

Oddly enough, he even made more eye contact with me every once in awhile after that day. It was definitely more than we did before the me-picking-his-book-up-for-him thing happened. I'd be sitting in English class, and I'd be writing away, and when I look up, several seats away from me I glance over at Harry and exactly when I do, we meet eyes for a split second and then he looks somewhere else. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad he knows me now, and cares to even look at / notice me. 

Now that I think about it what if it's the girl Katrina who sits diagonal from me was why he'd be looking in my direction and I've been thinking otherwise this whole time? Or am I just getting unbelievably paranoid and I know Harry can do SO much better. To him I'm probably just that guy in the back of history that's known as the class clown. Barely an acquaintance of his.

You know what, maybe I should finally get a grip and face the fact that Harry will never like me the way I like him. Even if he was interested in guys, I don't think he would be interested in me. It's been 3 long years and this crush might just be infatuation anyway since I don't even really know him. But of course, all of a sudden during our last year of high school, he finally notices me?

I was in dire need of advice, and called Zayn to come over on Saturday. The doorbell rung loudly throughout the house, and I shout to the rest of my family around that I got it. I leaped over toward the door, and twisted the knob.

"What's going on Louis?" Zayn asked as I open the door, already letting himself in.

"Let's go into my room first." I say as I close the door behind him and motion him up the stairs.

"Oh okay, sounds a little serious. Should I be worried?" Zayn asks me as he follows me into my bedroom.

"What I needed to talk to you about is about Harry." I reply, sitting down at the end of my bed and he closes the door behind him.

"Did something happen between you two?"

"Yes and no? I just don't get how he finally notices me now. The book incident was nothing and finally after three years after I developed a liking for him, he makes small talk with me and I catch him glancing at me in class, at least I think it's toward me. I know we've had just one conversation that lasted a few minutes, but I've been thinking about it and I feel like I should really get a reality check that he would never ever feel the same way about me, like I should have a long time ago. Sure he starts talking to me now, but it's a long shot to hope that he could like me back." I sigh, falling flat on my back on my mattress, covering my face with my hands in frustration.  

"Look at me Louis. C'mon." I feel him sit next to me on my bed, and I cautiously take my hands away from my face.

Zayn looks me in the eyes with a serious expression. "I'm sorry you've been in this position for a long time, and it sucks. I hate seeing you so distraught over this guy. But I think you shouldn't lose all hope. If anything, maybe becoming friends is a good thing. You've gotten this far that he knows you now and he talked to you all on his own." 

"But that was only because his friend wasn't there-" I protested.

"But nothing Lou. He talked to you, he didn't have to. He had other people he could talk to but he decided to talk to you. I don't know if it's me or it looks like someone wants to be friends with you. Take that opportunity! Just like when you picked up that book for him weeks ago. I bet he wouldn't have even known your name if you didn't do that one little thing. If I were you, I'd rather be his friend, than nothing at all."

"You could be right." Even though it hurts a tad more to be friends with someone I have a crush on, it could be a start. "I'm going to try to be his friend. Thanks man, you're the best."

"Don't I know it?" Zayn says, grinning. I shove his shoulder playfully and just laugh.

"Let's go grab something to eat in my kitchen, eh?" I pat his face in return as I sat up on my bed.

"Sure. I'm so hungry I can eat an elephant!" He gets up from my bed and hops over to the door in one leap.

"You sound like that one kid... Niall!" Zayn grins and points at me knowing exactly what I'm talking about. 

I remember that day very clearly, it was from the week before. As everyone was filling in the cafeteria for lunch, Zayn and I were in line, enjoying our conversation, when all of sudden we hear someone burst out, "YES LUNCH TIME! I'M SO HUNGRY I CAN EAT AN ELEPHANT!" above the loud chatter of everyone in the room, which resulted in a few stares. We both started cracking up, and tried to find  the person who yelled, following where the enthusiastic voice came from. He had a huge cocky smile on his face and from behind I saw Harry grabbing him by the shoulders laughing as hard as we were.

...Harry.

I'll try my best to be just friends with him, even if it may kill me inside that that's all we'll ever be. 

~