Chapter 27 - Will.

COMMENT. VOTE. FAN. ADD TO LIBRARY. Whichever floats your boat :)

------

Will.

There were boys and girls running around the playground, a sea of blue jumpers in the cold frosty morning. It was my first day of school - I stood there with my apple in my hand beside a boy called Henry at the top of the steps, and then he grabbed the bottom of his jacket, pushing it out behind him like a cape and ran down to the tarmac ground.

"Dun-dun-dun!" he sang, jumping around. I remember laughing and then following him down, biting into my apple in what I thought was a casual, cool way.

A flock of girls ran past us, yelling, and I caught snippets of the game they were playing.

"Come on, Zara! You have to save me now . . ."

I remember seeing a short, chubby girl with dark hair trailing behind, and then she crossed her arms, and stomped her foot on the ground, her bottom lip sticking out.

"I don't want to be the prince! We need a boy!" she whined sulkily.

They all paused near Henry and I, and we looked at each other for a few seconds, before a small girl with curly, slightly wild hair came forwards. She stopped in front of me. I remember thinking how fierce and controlling she looked.

"You can play with us," she told me, then looked at Henry and smiled. "So can you."

"Who wants to be the prince out of you two?" another girl asked.

"I'm not playing a girly game with a bunch of girls," I said defiantly, leaning against the fence, thinking I was so bad-ass.

"Yeah," Henry added, raising his eyebrows and nodded.

I remember one girl getting annoyed and sulky, crossing her arms tightly, and singing, "Fine, I'll tell Miss Renny!"

Me and Henry looked at each other at that point, and then shrugged in unison.

"You do that," I said with fake carelessness, and bit my apple again.

"What's your name?" The girl with curly hair demanded, putting her hands on her hips.

I frowned at her. "Will."

"Okay, Will," she said. "Come and play with us. We know your name now, so you can't escape."

I was confused at her words, wondering how I wouldn't be able to escape.

"What's your name?" I demanded, glaring at her. I was pretending to be annoyed, but secretly I was enjoying it. I'd always liked arguing - it made things interesting.

"Alyssa." She then tugged on my jacket. "Now come and play. There's a bucket of water in the art room and I might tip it on your head if you don't come."

-

"All you need is love!" Tai sings loudly, skipping ahead arm in arm with Zara, who is giggling madly.

Alyssa and I give each other a look and then start laughing.

I crouch down in front of Alyssa and then pick her up, putting her on my back, piggy-back style, ignoring her protests. "All you need is love, love! Love is all you need . . ."

"This is plain embarrassing," Reina yells, taking another sip of her Coke, but she's smiling. She's not as bad as I thought; I remember that just looking at her annoyed me before. Now, she's better.

We're walking through the sports field towards the car park. The fair's just finished and everyone is packing up, but it's dead quiet. The few people left are just staring, but we don't care.

Jonas is walking along beside Reina, rolling his eyes and smirking.

We reach the cars and Leila appears. "Time to go," she tells me. She says hi to Alyssa, and I think she was actually nice to me then.

"Gotta go now, guys!" Reina exclaims, chucking her can in the bin. "See you guys on Monday."

We all say bye to her and her brother, then Tai and Zara start to wander away towards Zara's mum's car.

I put down Alyssa and we both sit on the wall, holding hands.

"I'll call for you later," I tell her.

I watch as her bright eyes flutter closed and she puts her head against my chest. "Great," she whispered, hugging me.

I grin, putting my arms around her, inhaling her sweet scent and notice how soft her shirt is as I stroke her back.

I rest my chin on top of her head, and the sweet smell of her shampoo hits my nose. I breathe it in deeply, closing my eyes.

"Alyssa!" Zara yells from the car. "Come on!"

I open my eyes, and then let go of her reluctantly. She stands up and stretches, then smiles at me. "I'll see you later?"

I nod, eagerly, and I must look like such an idiot because she laughs, her eyes closing. Then she looks at me and kisses me quickly, before darting away.