9

"So?" Dan asked when he saw Phil the next day.

"You were right, it was a great date," Phil smiled, looking at his friend. 

"I told you! Didn't I tell you?" Dan nudges Phil, smiling. 

The to walked their separate ways to their classes. As soon as Phil got to his first hour and took a seat, he checked his phone. 

From Eric: I really enjoyed out date last night. We should go on another ;)

Phil smiled, sending the boy a quick response. 

To Eric: Sure! Just tell me when

Phil put his phone away and took out his notebook and a pencil.He took out his notes from the day prior and plugged in his headphones before typing away.  He played his usual playlist, which consisted of bands like Oceans Ate Alaska, The Devil Wears Prada, Chelsea Grin, and a couple pop punk bands. 

Phil was in the middle of typing a paragraph when when song changed. "If It Means A Lot To you" by A Day To Remember filled his ears, making a small smile appear on his face. 

"Your playlist is weird," Dan said. 

"How so?" Phil chuckles, looking over at his friend as he drives Dan's car. 

Dan had gotten drunk at a party with Bert and Phil went to pick him up. 

"It's all screaming, 'nd this one is soft and cute. I like it," Dan smiles, leaning his head back. 

Phil laughs lightly and Dan closes his eyes, swaying his head lightly to the soothing sound of guitars and Jeremy McKinnon's voice. 

"This song reminds me of you," Dan says. 

"Why?"

"It's beautiful," He says, before adding, "Like, your playlist is all loud and hard and mean sounding, then there's this song talking about someone he loves and asking them to wait for him. It's a lot like you. You seem mean and people only think that because of how you look and sound, but they have to dig deeper to find the softness of you. It's nice." 

Phil blushes like crazy, keeping his eyes on the road. No one had ever said something like that before. Sure, his mom and Seri were the only ones besides Dan who knew how he was. Phil always had to be tough for the people he loves. 

"You're like a Klondike bar. You have a hard outer shell, but once you break past that, you're sweet." Dan mumbles before falling asleep. 

Phil chuckled and drove the two to his house. Once they arrived, Phil parked Dan's car and got out, carrying Dan inside. 

His mom and Serenity were asleep, since it was pretty late. Phil took Dan to his room and took off Dan's shoes and obnoxiously tight jeans. He gently placed Dan down on the bed and pulled the covers over him. Phil changed quickly and walked to the door.

He looked at the sleeping boy once more and smiled, his heart warming. 

Phil looked across the class where Dan was sitting. He was deep in thought, his eyebrows creased and his fingers moving at the speed of light. Phil shook his head, getting back to work. He typed his essay quickly, trying to get as much done as he could before the class period was over. He would check his phone occasionally and responding to Eric between every few sentences.