Chapter 19

A few days later, when my cold was gone, Ross wrapped a scarf around my eyes. He placed his hand gently in mine. "Okay no peeking!" Suddenly he lifted me up into his arms.

"Stairs," he whispered. "Dangerous."

I smiled as Ross walked down. I heard a click and a door opened. Ross started unwrapping the scarf.

"Okay..." he removed his hands from my eyes. "Taadaa!"

I blinked a few times, trying to get used to the bright lights. Once my vision became clear, I gasped. There were three microphones on the front row. Two of them had a guitar leaning next to it, and one had a bass. The last row was a drum kit and a keyboard with a microphone shooting out of the side.

"Welcome to R5," Ross said.

I ticked off my fingers. "Okay, there's five of us but if you haven't noticed, my name is Beatrice, not Reatrice."

Ross nodded enthusiastically. "I thought we could just kick the Beat off of your name and call you," he spread his arms. "Rice."

I gave him the scarf I was still holding. "No thanks. I don't want to be a food."

Ross smiled and draped the scarf around my neck, pulling me close to him until we were face to face.

"I know. That's why..." he pulled out a small book from his pocket. "I brought this book of names that start with R."

I smiled sarcastically. "Yeah sure and next thing you know my name is Rihanna." I started to walk off.

"I was thinking Raelyn."

I stopped in my tracks. My eyes started to tear. "You still remember that?"

Ross started fiddling his thumbs. "That was the first time I got rejected."

"And slapped."

"And slapped," he added.

I started pulling him. "Let's go."

"Where?" Ross asked.

I grinned. "Well if we're a band we should have matching outfits!"

Ross took out his car keys. "The mall."

I nodded. "Yep."

***

A few hours later we came out with about fifty bags.

"No no the purple tie-"

"No way! It was violet!"

"Come on! You looked super cute-"

"The color was totally ugly!"

We laughed all the way to the grand entrance. Ross immediately stopped.

"Remember us Ross?"