s e v e n

| chapter seven — let the games begin | 

— 

"let the seventy-fifth hunger games begin. may the odds be ever in your favour." winter felt a chill run down her spine. she searched around the arena with her eyes, she couldn't see finnick but assumed he was on the other side of the cornucopia. she spotted katniss looking very distressed and felt worry run through her veins. 

"ten, nine, eight," winter swallowed, feeling icy flashes of fear through out her body as the voice kept counting down. "seven, six," she clenched and unclenched her fists as she kept her eyes on the cornucopia. "five, four," this was it, it was almost there. "three, two. . . one."

 a canon echoed through the air as winter dove into the cold salt water and swam as fast as she could, she eyes spotting other tributes swimming alongside her. winter picked up the pace and soon climbed onto the rocky shore and the cornucopia. she immediately ran in and grabbed throwing knives and machete.

winter ran until she caught up with finnick, who had an arrow aimed at him by katniss. they both showed their golden accessories and katniss faltered.

"good thing we're allies, right?" finnick said as a small smirk began to grow on his lips, winter's head snapped around, her wet locks slapping against her skin as she watched for any approaching tributes.

"where did you get that?" the younger brunette said as she kept her arrow on the two district four tributes, her bright blue hues glaring at them.

"where do you think, katniss?" winter said in a distressed voice as she continued to look around. "duck." winter said as finnick raised his trident, katniss ducked just in time and finnick slammed his trident into a tribute coming up behind katniss.

a canon went through the air as finnick pulled his trident out. "don't trust one and two. winter and i'll take this side, you hold them off." he said as he turned a corner, winter smiling somewhat at katniss before following close behind. "we'll go find peeta."

winter ran in front of finnick and onto one of the rocky arms of the cornucopia, watching the water before a head of blond surfaced with another tribute trying to pull him down. "finnick, peeta's over here!" she yelled as her district partner nodded and went to tell katniss. winter took off her machete and knives as she dove into the wave, the strong salty water made her eyes sting but she continued to swim forward, making sure peeta came out alive was her top priority.

winter watched as peeta and the other tribute submerged into the water. she swam forward and managed to shove the other tribute off peeta, holding his head until a canon went off telling the two that he was dead. winter felt her lungs burn as she swam upwards, peeta close behind her before they both broke the surface. 

after they climbed out of the water, winter caught the stare of cashmere before turning, collecting her weapons and running into the forest. she followed behind peeta as finnick and katniss ran behind her.

"katniss, katniss, go, go, go." finnick said as katniss ran ahead of him, their breathing heavy from the trek. a canon went off in the distance but the four kept running farther into the green abyss. they continued to run until finnick's voice ran through the air once again. "'okay, hold up, hold up." winter let out a deep breath as she felt finnick place a hand on her shoulder. "you alright?"

winter swallowed as she lifted her head to look at finnick. "little out of breath and terrified. you?"

"i've been better." finnick replied as he rubbed her upper back gently. she leaned into his touch as her eyes followed katniss' body movements, the young brunette was looking around the arena, letting it all sink in.

"god, it's hot." peeta said through soft pants as he scanned the area around them with slightly furrowed brows. "we gotta find fresh water."

four canons echoed throughout the arena which caused finnick to smile and laugh slightly. "guess we're not holding hands anymore." winter nodded her head and she searched her surroundings. 

"you think that's funny." katniss spoke up which caused all the tributes to look at her. winter rolled her lips, knowing there was going to be a clash.

"every time that canon goes off, it's music to my ears." finnick said as he pointed towards the sky. "i don't care about any of them." 

"good to hear." katniss said as she pulled the machete from behind her back, making winter pull out a knife slowly. finnick caught her hand but winter continued to lift it out. katniss' eyes followed the knife before meeting winter's dark glare.

"d'you want to face that pack of careers alone, everdeen?" winter's voice was deadly calm as she continued to glare at the district twelve victor. "what would darling abernathy say?"

"haymitch isn't here." katniss said simply as she continued to stare at winter, her machete now pointed towards the said brunette.

winter stood, her hand grasped her knife before peeta spoke up, breaking katniss out of her stare but not winter. "let's get moving." winter barely acknowledged him as she continued to walk closer to katniss. finnick was about to tell her to stop but then winter shoved her knife away and pulled katniss up.

"don't ever threaten him again." winter said in a cold whisper that sent shivers of fear down katniss' spine. that's what haymitch was talking about. she was protective of finnick and finnick was protective of winter, that's how it went. winter's angry facade was terrifying, she was eerily calm and quiet as she spoke, it set a sinister tone onto the group. katniss and winter met eyes for a moment before winter turned, grasped finnick's hand and pulled him forward. 

—