t h r e e

| chapter three — introductions | 

— 

haymitch abernathy stood in front of his two tributes, katniss everdeen and peeta mellark. the two picked at their food as their mentor spoke.

"i want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. last year was child's play. this year, you're dealing with all experienced killers." haymitch said as he poured himself a drink,

"alright." peeta said as he leaned back in his chair. "what does that mean for us?"

"that means you're gonna have to have some allies." haymitch continued.

"okay, i think that if--" the blond was interrupted by haymitch.

"whoop, you're not the problem." the long haired man said as his finger pointed to katniss. 

"no." the brunette immediately said as haymitch sat down on a chair near them.

"listen, you're starting at a disadvantage. most of these people have been friends for years." haymitch explained, moving his hand in motion with his words.

"that just puts us higher on their kill list." katniss retorted, slumping in her chair as she watched her mentor.

"do it your own way, but i know these people. you go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. both of you." haymitch sat up, bringing his drink to his lips.

"katniss, come on." peeta pleaded, making the brunette look at him before focusing her attention on the table.

"how could any of us trust each other?" katniss asked as she shook her head in movement with her words.

"it's not about trust, it's about staying alive." haymitch brought his two tributes to the couch and turned on the tv. "cashmere and gloss, brother and sister, district one. they won back to back games, capitol favourites. lots of sponsors, they will be lethal." haymitch clicked a button. "and the other half of the career pack, brutus and enobaria."

"what's with her teeth?"

"she had them filed into fangs so she could rip peoples throats out." haymitch said in reply, looking towards katniss and peeta.

"she's committed i give her that." peete commented as haymitch continued.

"wiress and beetee. not fighters but brilliant and weird. real tech-savvy." haymitch walked towards the window and he face the screen once more. "he won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once. the morphlings, masters of camouflage. basically, won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead. self-medicating ever since, which i applaud. not a threat." haymitch pressed a button and the face of finnick odair filled the screen. 

"finnick odair, right?" katniss asked and haymitch nodded.

"yes, he won his games at fourteen, not the youngest but still pretty young. extremely humble." haymitch said the last part of his sentence sarcastically.

"you're kidding." katniss said with a slight raise of her brow. 

"yes i'm kidding, he's a peacock. a total preener." haymitch flipped his blond locks as he said this, finnick putting a smile on his face. "but he's the capitol darling, they love him here. charming, smart and very skilled at combat, especially in water."

"what about weaknesses?" peeta asked as he began to sit forward, his eyes trained on the screen.

"one, winter. now winter farheart is the youngest tribute to ever win the games at twelve, brutal but she's one of the most kind people you'll ever meet. she volunteered for annie cresta. if finnick tries to protect her in any way, it exposes him. my guess is that he's completely in love with her, they were best friends even before she was put into the arena." haymitch sighed. "her games were even harder to watch seeing as she was so young, the people that year were brutal, no mercy. she only killed three people, and out of her allies, she was the only one to kill any person. she's protective of her friends. have her on your side and you'll get far."

— 

winter walked out of an elevator with her long deep beige fish net styled dress to match finnick's attire. her hair was style into an almost web type, with each lock of hair branched to look like a fish net. she looked up and saw the capitol citizens calling out her name to which she merely walked on.

she saw finnick wearing barely anything and fought the urge to roll her eyes. "they couldn't have put you in something at less skimpy, could they?" the brunette walked up to her best friend who snorted.

"do you think they showed enough boobage on you, win?" winter smiled as she looked down at her dress, the plunging neckline reaching just the top of her belly button.

"alexsy said he wanted the capitol to know what i'm not some innocent twelve year old anymore, i'm a grown woman and i should show that." winter responded with her smile turned into a smirk. "why were you looking there, finnick?"

finnick shook his head and didn't respond but winter was sure she saw a small patch of red run across his cheeks. "i am going to say hello to the girl on fire." with that finnick called out katniss's name and walked over. winter made her way over to johanna mason. 

"hello, johanna." winter said as the district seven girl looked around and down her body.

"goddamn, win, nice boobs." the two laughed, winter feeling conscious out her exposed chest. "how are you feeling about all this?"

"angry, frustrated, extremely annoyed. they promised us safety and now they're throwing us back into the games as if it's nothing." winter growled with a glare at the shouting capitol people above.

"yeah, i know how you feel. i see finnick is having a little talk to the girl on fire." johanna commented with a small smirk. "are you jealous?"

"why would i be jealous? and she's engaged to peeta, though let's be real here it's an act." winter replied with an annoyed expression. 

"oh my we are oblivious," johanna laughed as winter hit her shoulder. "she looks uncomfortable." 

winter nodded. "i'll go over and safe her from him, bye johanna." winter waved at johanna before walking towards katniss and finnick.

finnick was in the middle of saying something when winter jumped in. "hi i'm sorry, is this idiot friend of mine annoying you?" winter said as she wrapped an arm around finnick's waist.

katniss seemed flustered, whether it was by the sudden question of the plunging neckline, winter wasn't sure. "n--no, not at all."

"no need to lie, finnick here can take the truth." finnick scoffed and roll his eyes, his arm wrapping around winter as well. "well i should introduce myself, i'm w--"

"i know who you are. winter farheart, youngest tribute ever to win the games." katniss interrupted bluntly as  finnick turned to walk away, his lips pressing against winter's temple, making her smile.

"sorry you had to cancel your wedding. i know how devastating that must be for you." winter finished as she popped a sugar cube that finnick had handed her earlier.  winter looked around. "this is betrayal, putting us all back into the arena like that. betrayal like this starts a fight." the brunette paused for a moment before she leaned in with a smile. "a rebellion."

katniss blinked before speaking up as peeta and cinna made their way closer. "what did you say?"

winter turned, faux surprise on her face. "what?" winter then let a smile grow on her face. "nothing. let it slip your mind." her smile turned into a slow grin appeared as she walked away.

—