s i x

| chapter six — the games begin | 

— 

winter and finnick sat intertwined. his arms wrapped around her body and hers around his neck, frowns were both imprinted on their faces. finnick looked as though he was going to open his mouth and say something but the words he intended to say never came out. even though they were going back into the games where they could die, he still wasn't going to confess to her. it put him in an uneasy state by not doing so but the nerves building in him always screamed at him to stay quiet, that winter would never feel the same. the doubts clouded his mind like condensation on a mirror.

finnick was snapped out of his thoughts when minty walked in with a somber look on her face as the two pulled apart. "unfortunately, the pregnancy did not sway president snow. the games are still on." a tear fell from minty's eyes as she watched her two victors deflate. "you two deserved so much better." the woman let out a sob as both winter and finnick stood to embrace her. 

winter rubbed her back gently. "i'm going to miss you, so much, minty."

"no, no, please don't say that." minty sobbed out in protest as they pulled away. "i have something for you both." winter watched as minty pulled out two sleek black boxes, her hands shaking as she cried softly. "you both agreed to have katniss and peeta as allies. we are starting something and you need to wear these to show it." 

winter opened her box to show a golden anklet, she smiled. it was like katniss's pin and finnick hand a golden bangle with the same design.

"now, i'm afraid i have to go. if this is the last i see of you both just know, i love you both." minty cried out as she hugged to two victors before walking away, her shoulders shaking. 

winter and finnick looked at each other with frowns on their faces. finnick brought winter into a tight hug. they could both die tomorrow but finnick didn't want to say anything, not yet. the two victors then made their way to the room they shared whilst staying in the building, they knew they would get little to no sleep but as long as they had each other, they didn't care. 

— 

just as winter had predicted, neither her nor finnick got any sleep the night before, the urge to curl up on the bed once more and nuzzle into each other was strong but they both knew they had run out of time and they were going back into the arena. winter gripped onto finnick one last time before alexsy took her hand and brought her down to the room she was to change in. she felt her whole body shake in fear as she slipped on the tight yet stretchy body suit. before she could put on the shoes, alexsy slipped on the golden anklet and then she proceeded to put on the dark navy shoes. 

without a word the two moved towards the shoot in which winter was going back into the games into. alexsy gripped her hand as she shook, tears prickling at her eyes and she turned to alexsy, panic in her eyes.

"i can't go back in." suddenly, she was a twelve year old again, terrified of going into the games, of being slaughtered by the older tributes. it all came rushing back. alexsy's dark brown eyes began to flood with concern and with tears.

he wrapped the younger girl in a tight hug. "winter, when you were twelve and i had to send you off into the games, it killed me. so much. it's killing me now. i'm telling you,sweetheart, you're gonna do amazing in these games. you know the plan, you know what's going to happen."

winter nodded but the fear still sat at the bottom of her stomach. "what if it doesn't work out how we planned, what if i d--"

"don't you dare say that, i know it's the truth but, winter, you are strong and you will fight. i've seen it before and i will see it again. you may not feel it now but i swear to god as soon as you go out into that arena, it'll kick in and you'll kick ass." alexsy gripped the girl tighter.

winter swallowed as she rested her chin on alexsy's shoulder. "i'll survive, for you and for minty and for annie and for mags. . . and for finnick." winter replied in a shakey voice, the two pulled away when a robotic female voice called out. 

"thirty seconds until launch." winter looked at alexsy once more before she turned and climbed inside the tube, fear clinging to her bones, exactly like it was twelve years ago.

"you can do this winter, you did it last time. you know how to fight, you're fast." alexsy said as the glass doors slid closed, but they couldn't hide the fear etched on winter's face.

winter watched as alexsy gave her one last thumbs up before she floor began to rise, sunlight hit the top of her head. the smell of sea water that winter knew all so well hit her nose as she rose higher. 

she looked around the arena, she was standing on a stand. the wide circle of deep blue salt water was surrounded by a large forest, there was a very large tree. it stood out from the rest of the landscape and caught winter's attention before caeser's voice ran through the air, causing a shiver of fear to slide down winter's back.

"ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the seventy-fifth hunger games!"

—