f o u r

| chapter four — training |

it was the first day of training and winter felt nervous. all the tributes would be there, watching her. calculating her skills in their heads and trying to figure out how to either make her an ally or kill her.

she was dressed in a long sleeved black t-shirt, dark green cargo pants and black military boots. she guess the dress code for training had something to do with the arena. there was a woman standing at the top of the room, she was talking to the tributes. "one out of twenty-four of you will be a victor and the other twenty-three of you will be dead. you can train at what ever stations you wish." winter and mason saw the other tributes spread out into the room to other stations when winter's eyes saw some throwing knives that no one was at and directed herself towards it.

mason watched her go and let her do her own thing, craig had instructed him to let her be and let her use what she wanted to use in order to train before entering the arena. mason himself however, headed towards the section with spears, he had used them back in district four to catch fish sometimes whenever his rod wasn't working or he just wanted to prepare just in case he was thrown into the games. 

winter picked up one or two knives, she had never thrown a knife before, she never had the need to throw a knife. she never had to get into violence at all really due to the fact that she was nice to everyone so no one had a problem with her. she took a deep breath and grasped the knife blade, pulling her arm back and flinging the knife towards the target. much to her surprise, it hit the target, not in the middle but very close to it. she smiled a little but soon let it drop, assuming that all she was having was beginners luck. she prepared to throw another knife, she pulled her arm back and flung the knife again, it missed the target and clattered to the ground.

she wondered why no one had approached her but then realized that the other tributes where probably trying to train themselves. she prepared to throw another knife when a hand grasped her wrist and she turned quickly. her eyes meeting those of an older girl, a girl from district seven. 

"you need to have more balance, you got the first one but then you wavered, you knocked yourself down i'm guessing. you gotta have confidence." the district seven girl spoke softly as she grasped the knife and threw it. it hit the middle of the target. "keep confidence. i'm aster flatpath, district seven."

winter smiled a little. "thank you. i'm winter farheart, district four."

aster nodded. "ahhh, so you're the little innocent. i'm guessing it was an act?" winter nodded. "i knew it, once you get picked for the games any innocence you have left is gone. i spoke to your district partner, he wants to be allies. thought i come over and ask you if you felt the same."

winter swallowed as she focused her eyes on the knife in her hand. "i mean allies would be nice, i wouldn't mind having them." aster smiled and nodded.

"alright, kid, i'll let you continue your knife throwing and i'll be just over there with the axe if you need anything and i'm pretty positive mason isn't moving from the spears any time soon." winter nodded great-fully as aster walked away towards the station with the axe.

she smiled. an ally. she took aster's advice and lifted another knife, pulling her arm back and she flung the knife, it hit the target, not in the middle but much like her first throw it hit quite close. this time, she didn't knock herself down. she lifted another knife, pulled her arm back again and threw the knife, this this time it hit the middle. she grinned. she knew she had to take aster's advice whilst being in the arena too. missing someone could mean your death.

winter decided to be daring and close her eyes. she knew it wouldn't be a good idea but, as i said, she learned fast and if she was determined, she learned faster. her eyes slid shut, her arm pulled back, the knife flung out of her hand. she slowly opened her eyes and they widened in shock. they had it the center.

winter smiled as she saw mason beside her out of the corner of her eye, she turned to face him. he was smiling too. "i see aster spoke to you. that's really good for someone who's never thrown knives before, win."

"i'm a fast learner and i'd always throw pens at a page if i was annoyed at my school work so i guess that paid off?" winter replied as she looked up at the tall boy.

"it must've. when you get into the arena, make sure to get the throwing knifes. i've seen you run, you're quick, swift. you'll get there before most tributes. " mason said as they two turned around. "but you have to learn other skills as well. just knife throwing isn't going to win you the hunger games."

"i know, but at least i got the skill down. what else should i learn?" winter asked as the two walked to nowhere in particular. 

"hand to hand combat. just in case, the trainer is just over there. just go over, and he'll tell you everything you need to know." mason said to her. "i'm going to give the berry test a try. find out which ones are poison and which aren't."

winter nodded and waved mason goodbye as she continued to make her way over to the hand-to-hand combat station. when she got there, the man opened his lips and began to speak. "this is the hand-to-hand section, you'll be fighting me to test out your skills and you can come back every training day to improve, alright?" winter nodded once again as she saw the man get into a fighting stance and winter did the same, she took a deep breath as the man ran towards her.

she swiftly dodged him, moving the right before climbing onto his back, her legs wrapping around his abdomen as she attempted to pull him back with all her strength. he grasped her legs and flipped her, making her crash into the safety mat with a soft groan. she stood back up and let him run towards her again, which he did, she dodged him again but didn't jump on his back. this time she kicked the back of his knee, making him fall completely and elbowed him in the back. sweat gathered around her hairline as he began to stand and then she jumped on his back once again, this time, her foot kicking the back of his knee again and she rolled so her legs were around his neck.

he grasped her leg trying to pull it off but winter was determined to win the fight. soon he tapped her leg, signing that the fight was over. the man stood, catching his breath as he stared at the girl with astonishment. "damn, kid, you're fast."