n i n e

| chapter nine — end of the game | 

—   

winter stayed in the dark corner of the building when the anthem of panem filled the arena, making the dark haired girl peer out the window, it was showing all the dead tributes. districts one male and female showed, winter's mind drifting back to when she threw a knife into his chest, districts two male and female showed, her mind also drifting back to when she stabbed the girls head, districts three male and female showed, then district four. mason's handsome strong face showed. it them moved onto district five, only the male showed which meant the female was alive. district six was the same as one and two, both tributes were dead. district seven, only the male was dad and that made winter smile softly in relief. all the other district tributes were dead.

winter, aster and the district five female were the only ones alive. winter heard about the district five female, her name was tania. winter saw her at training, she was brutal. all she used was a small dagger but she knew where to hit someone and kill them swiftly. 

it wasn't until the next morning when winter stepped out of the corner of the fallen building, her hands gripping her knives at all times, not willing to let it go. out of an instinct, winter made her way in the direction of the cornucopia. she hoped she would meet aster there, maybe the afro sporting girl had the same idea?

winter broke into a run, her feet hitting the ground and her breath picking up as she kept turning her head every now and again, though she could out run and tribute, that didn't mean she could get rid of one if them came from the side.

she arrived at the cornucopia to find it empty, the cold concrete ground had dead brown leaves rolling across it, from what tree winter didn't know. her rolled her lips as she stepped forward, slipping a knife out of the leather pouch and keeping her guard up. once she reached the cornucopia, winter noticed how hungry she was. with the fear of death on her heels, winter didn't realize that the last time she had eaten was when. . . mason died. that had to have been at least a week, if not a little over one. she saw apples in a bag, in the corner, untouched from when she saw them when the games started.

she ran over, ripping open the bag and biting into one of the apples, the sweet pleasant taste of the juice, the hard fruit was swallowed down quickly as she wolfed down four apples before looking at the entrance of the cornucopia, making sure no one was there, watching her. she continued to eat the apples until she felt full. god, she needed those apples. they reminded her of home, her mind drifted to home.

—   

finnick sat on the edge of his seat, the rest of the people in the room with him doing similar. they watched as winter was trapped under the district two tribute, all of them scared for the life of the twelve year old.

a round of 'yes's filled the room as winter punched the girl's head before ramming her knife into it. finnick cringed but he was none the less happy that winter was winning and getting away.

the camera switched from winter to aster, who was running deeper into the fallen city, when suddenly mutts, taking the shape of rather large foxes dashed out of broken windows and started viscously biting at the tributes legs, long enough for aster to get away and out of the careers sight. 

the district five girl look very angry at the district one girl and district three boy with her and ended up smashing the boys head against the wall, killing him instantly and stabbing the district one girl with such fury, everyone in the room became worried for winter and aster. if this was the girl they were against, would they survive?

  —   

aster leaned against the cold walls of the buildings, her senses on high alert after hearing three canons. fear spiked her body but later that night when she had found shelter inside a building, she saw that winter wasn't dead and was relieved but was also scared, what if the district five girl, tania, found winter and killed her before aster had the chance to protect her.

the dark skinned girl stood, jumping out of the window of the building and began to walk towards the way she think she came. there was a quiet rumble but aster continued to keep her senses on alert. suddenly soft growls could be heard behind her, aster turned slowly to see a giant wolf mutt. her dark eyes widened as she ran, her feeting hitting the ground as fast as she could. 

but she couldn't run fast enough and the giant beast bit her leg, making her fall and pulled her back. she used her axe, or tried to, to get the wolf mutt to release itself from her but it was no use, she was a goner. 

pain screams filled the arena as the mutt tore aster apart, her mind only thinking of winter and mason, her mind only wondering what it was like after death.

then a canon called out, announcing her death.

—   

winter flinched when she heard the canon go off, either tania or aster was dead and winter hoped it was tania. winter stepped out of the cornucopia, instantly regretting the decision as she heard an animalistic growl. winter turned and spotted the bright red hair of tania.

tania's hair was messy, tangled and her bright blue eyes wild and psychotic, winter felt fear run through her body in a cold shiver as tania ran for her. the small blood covered dagger she held waving around crazily. 

winter did what she did best and ran, her feet carrying her quickly and away from tania. winter turned, tania was running after her but not even half as fast. winter pulled out a knife, flinging her arm back, the knife slamming right into tania's right leg. tania fell to the ground with a pain filled shout, her crazed glare still on winter as she tried to stand but winter threw another knife, it landing in tania's hand which was on the opposite leg.

winter pulled out one last knife, holding her breath as she pulled her arm back, tiredness filling her body as she flung the knife, everything went into slow motion. the black blade slammed into tania's head, making her body fall back with it. the final canon went off and winter let out a cry as she heard caeser flickerman's voice fill the arena.

"and here we have it ladies and gentlemen, this winner of the sixty- third hunger games, winter farheart!"

—