o n e

| chapter one — the reaping |

the air was cold as a twelve year old winter farheart gripped her mothers hand tightly as they neared the reaping area. her other hand was held by her father, who was equally as petrified as his wife and daughter. winter looked over and saw her friend, finnick odair moved in line with boys, his blond curls standing out from the other boys. his sea green eyes met winter's dark brown ones. he sent a reassuring smile her way and winter returned it, hers having a more nervous edge.

it was time to choose the district four sixty third hunger games tributes and winter had just turned the age where she would the able to be chosen to be thrown into the death match. the female peace keeper pricked her finger and she pressed it on a page before being lead towards the other twelve year old girls.

she was shaking, no surprise, anyone who was able to be put into the games was shaking. then minty rosesmith made her way onto the stage, her bright green wig clashed in an ugly way with her bright pink dress and matching heals. her green lipstick coloured lips spread into an uneasy smile meaning this was as hard for her as it was for them. it was understandable, choosing young people to be thrown into an arena and expected to kill on another. 

"welcome, welcome to the annual sixty third hunger games. we will pick two tributes, a boy and a girl. we will start with the ladies, may the odds be ever in your favour." minty walked over to the large bowl filled with folded paper which were closed with a black lock, minty's slim fingers opened the paper slower, she rolled her lips before bringing them to the microphone once again. "winter farheart."

winter stopped, her face paled and her heart sped up. the agonizing scream of her mother filled the area as winter stepped forward, shaking terribly.

"yes, come on up, poppet." minty said as she held old her hand, leading the shaking twelve year old up onto the stage. "now for the boys." the woman continued as winter met eyes with her hysterical mother. winter didn't pay attention to minty but she heard male tribute clearly. "mason dawnbloom."

mason was a sixteen year old boy who often helped winter whilst she was fishing or trying to create a hook. he cared for the girl and now they were put up against each other. mason was brought on stage and stood next to the micro phone, his bright blue iris kept onto the crowed.

"now, you two, shake hands." instead of shaking hands, mason pulled winter into a tight embrace in which she returned. the two tributes looked at the crowed once more before being brought inside the building behind them.

winter was put into a room as she waited for her family. suddenly winter's sobbing mother and father crashed into the room, crushing their daughter in a tight hug.

"oh my baby, oh god." her mother sobbed as she squeezed her child tightly. "you have to be strong, you understand me? you have to come out of those games alive, please." 

"but, i-i'm the youngest tribute, how?" winter had only guessed she was the youngest tribute, highly doubting that the other tributes were her age. 

"be strong, you are strong." her father said as a peace keeper slid open the door. winter stood and squeezed her parents hands before walking away. now, winter was terrified though it may not seem like it, the reality of the situation had set in and her muscles locked as she sat on a plush seat of the train she was put on.

miny, mason and a man, craig whitesong, entered the train, mason immediately rushing over the whinter. craig whitesong was a victor who won his hunger games by creating traps that would leave tributes covered in mud, leading them to needing to wash it off and then using fishing traps to end their lives. it was clever yet terrifying.

cragi couched in front of the two tributes with a tight frown, his green eyes drowning with concern. "how old are you?" his thick irish accent directed towards winter as she clung to mason.

"twelve." she mumbled in response as she saw him rub his forehead.

"poor thing." he said as he stood. "i'm going to make sure you make it out, i'm sure your fellow tribute will agree with me on that idea." mason nodded as she rubbed winter's back gently.

minty looked over at the two with sympathy. "we'll be at the capitol within the hour." she said as she sat down. "you can eat whatever you wish, it's all for you two. in the capitol you'll be brought to the training center, you will stay there until the day of the," she paused, her breath catching in her throat. "games."

winter reached out, her hand gripping onto a glass of water, bringing it to her lips as she looked around the train, she was never going to make it out of the games, it was a negative setting in her brain. she was too young and she knew it. but for now all she could do is sit on the capitol train and wait, wait for her death to get closer and closer.

the capitol was huge. the glass skyscrapers and the eccentric clothing sense over whelmed winter. it start when she walked off the train alongside mason, minty and craig, they were bombarded by capitol people, with their brightly coloured clothing and their wide plastic faces. now, winter stood in the room she would be living in until the games and the main room was bigger than her whole house. the tall windows covered the wall as the other walls and ground were covered in a bright shade of blue, white concrete columns added contrast, small gold accents decorated the outlining on arches and doorways. outside the windows showered skyscraper upon skyscraper, all made of glass.

minty showed the two district four tributes to their rooms and winter's jaw dropped. her bedroom was huge, it had bright blue walls, much like the main room, with white concrete columns standing in the corners of the room, the queen sized bed was covered in white silky sheets, with matching pillows. there was a balcony with white doors which was decorated in golden swirls. it was beautiful. 

it made winter sick that here, this is what the capitol people lived with whilst people in the distracts scrapped for money to buy food at times, small wooden houses. winter knew that district four was the poorest district compared to others but it was still nothing in comparison to the capitol way of life. 

winter closed the door behind her, deciding to nap a bit before actually getting right into the training of the games. she pulled off her shoes and lay on top of the covers, she didn't know who she could sleep but she managed.