07. The Proposition

As the sun rose into the clear sky the next morning, the rays hit Katara's window allowing itself into the hospital room. Katara stirred, turning away from it as her back faced the window, the curtains not doing any justice.

Sound asleep, Katara could hear commotion going on outside. She did her best to ignore it, almost pulling herself back into stage three. What felt like a second to Katara, she was shaken awake by the sound of her door being slammed open and hitting against the wall.

"What the-" She wanted to finish the sentence but her eyes caught sight of her parents, the face on her father looking pissed. Her mother trudged in hesitantly behind him with a solemn face. Katara's doctor came running behind them, trying to talk to her father.

"Katara, are you okay?" He asked her, the sight of her lying in bed looking fragile and innocent calming him down slightly. Her eyes questioned his actions and she sat up, sitting in bed.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's wrong?" She asked, not liking the sight of her father angry. The doctor came up behind them and looked at Katara, hoping her father wouldn't say anything.

"We got a call and you gave the nurses a heart attack," He started, grabbing her hand and staring into her eyes. "You scared them with your panic attack in the middle of the night last night."

Katara looked at him confused, "What panic attack?"

He looked at her a little taken back, not knowing what to say. She didn't remember? The doctor stepped up and Katara looked at him.

"Katara, three nurses reported you screaming and falling out of bed. Do you not remember any of it?" He asked her. She was really confused now.

"I don't, but I think I had a nightmare," She trailed off. Katara felt her hand being softly squeezed and she looked to her dad.

"It's okay, it's over. It was probably stress. No need to feel scared anymore." At her father's words, all she could do was nod. And then she remembered. She needed to talk to the doctor alone.

"Umm," she started as she made eye contact with the doctor. Feeling embarrassed at what she was about to ask, she looked down avoiding everyone's gaze and sighed.

"How can I know if I got raped or not?"

Katara was blunt, and all three adults stared at the young teen in bewilderment for a couple seconds. Katara looked up at the doctor and he smiled small.

"If you would like, I could get a nurse in here to help you with that. But before we start on that, I bet you're hungry."

At the mention of food, Katara's eyes lit up and her smile shone brighter than the early morning sun just outside her window that peaked over the hills in the distance.

And with that confirmation, they all laughed as the Doctor nodded his head and stepped outside, mumbling that he'd have a nurse bring back breakfast for her.

Not two hours later, Katara pushed the empty food tray away from her on the bed's attached table. Both of her parents were still there. It turned out; the nurses were informed to not waste time in doing a rape test.

Katara was grumpy when the news made it to her. She was starving and didn't like to be kept waiting when it had to deal with food. And with the news about getting the results back within three hours, Katara tensed. Well, until food had been put in front of her.

"I want out of here." She told them, looking at the blanket covering her body. She picked at one of the seams coming undone.

"We know, but you can leave soon. They're just making sure you'll be fine before we take you home." The voice of her mother caught her eyes and met with hers.