004

Neither of us said a word while we were in that car

Neither of us said a word while we were in that car. I was too shaken up on the intense moment that Billy and I shared at tapestry along with whatever was going on with Steve and Nancy. The world was still spinning and my head was hazy while my organs were doing backflip beneath my hot skin. I looked out the window feeling weak and defeated in a daydream. Kyper refused to let his eyes land in anything but that road. Music played softly from the stereo as we lost ourselves in thought.

I don't know what happened to Kyper but whatever it is he clearly doesn't want to talk about it and I am in no condition to meddle into whatever problems he has. I have enough of my own to sort out at the moment.

My eyes were weighing on me as I tried to piece together the event at the party. Everything was fine until I took a drink. That's where everything went south. Not just for me either, whatever it was had Nancy ducked up as well. She left that party looking like she was killed and zombified. Steve was just marching in pure rage and I couldn't even remember why I was there. That wasn't the only thing that ruined the night for me. No. Billy takes that title. Last time I saw him I could have sworn he was ready to rip my he as off but a day and few drinks later he is apologizing and looking me straight in the eye like I'm a batch of baked goods. I've known guys like Billy and they don't change like that overnight. Maybe it was the drinks but it could possibly have been genuine. I just want to know why he said it. Why did he apologize to me?

I should be the one feeling guilty not him. I saw him in a completely new light tonight. He did not seem like the not headed ass hole everyone shapes him up to be. For a split second, I could see an actual boy behind the hair spray and cigarette ash. I wanted to see more of him. I wanted to know him. Crazy right? No. It's the liquor, Billy is and will always be the guy who almost ran me over no more no less. He is just Billy with a nice ass in his pair of jeans. There should be no reason why I would want to affiliate myself with him. Especially over curiosity. Originally he was just going to be someone to mess with. To tease and entertain myself but after tonight, I'm not so sure I would want to mess with this guy. I couldn't read him. He is just so unpredictable and his presence always catches me off guard. Usually, I do that to others. It's uncomfortable when the tables are turned on you.

"I'm sorry I pulled you to that dumb party. We should have just spent the night with Kellin." Kyper said. He was driving with his left hand on the wheel and the other as a kickstand on the Ledge of the driver seat window propping his head up. That means he was tired and annoyed.

"What happened? At that party? You look heated. Was it because of me?" I asked shifting in my seat so now my knees were facing his side of the car.

"Why would it be because of you?"

"I was with Billy. I know you act when I'm around other guys."

Kyper looked at me for a split second back to the road. It seemed that he wanted to tell me something but changed his mind. "You're always around guys Marley. What are you talking about?" He asked with a hand full of sass.

"Not the gang, Kyper. You know what I'm talking about. Other guys."

"Yeah, I mean no. I'm not worried about Billy. I know him a lot better than you know. There was something else I was worried about."

Whatever it was he was worried about he clearly wasn't going to share. She already told on himself when I mentioned Billy and before that he tried to dodge my accusations about his pet peeve with me around other guys.

"So if it wasn't him then what are you so stressed about?" I asked pulling the sleeves of my jacket to my palms. Gripping the ends and pulling.

"I'm stressed? Never noticed before."

He was madder then stressed. When Kyper gets in his moods he gets sarcastic. He clearly doesn't want me nagging him so I'm just going to leave him in his boyish mood swing for now.

"Fine don't tell me." I just want to go to sleep already.

I turned over and leaned against the passenger side window. The cold glass was pressed against my skin and lights slowly passed by as we drove. Slow music took over the atmosphere of the vehicle until it was all too much of a coincidence when Kyper began whimpering and the car pulled over.

Kyper was never the one to cry. He always had to be the tough one out of both of us. He had feelings but he hid them and used other ways to express them. Like singing. Only I and his brother ever hear him sing but that isn't what is important now.

I turn back to face Kyper who pulled the car to the curb and pressed his face into the steering wheel and his face began to flood over. I didn't know what to do so I patted him on the shoulder and sat there like a lump on a log. He was just breaking down. Like a really ugly cry. He was Huffman ng and puffing and could barely catch his breath. It was a really hard thing to stomach.

It felt just awful to sit and watch him.

"I don't know what to say." I pathetically admit while I bend over the seat and hug his arm. "I can listen if u want to talk. Or I can just be here. If u need me." I say.

He turned his face to the right of the wheel and faced me. Tears dotted his glassy eyes and his cheeks were just moist with tears. "Kellin got hit." He choked out. My jaw dropped and I too began to tremble under the soft sound of rain hitting the roof of the car. "He was trick or treating with friends. He crossed the road to a house and headlights smashed into him."

Silence took over once again. I wanted to ask. You know. The question, but I didn't. I did not want anything bad to happen if I do. You know curses and whatnot.

"So he is okay?" I asked.

Kyper put the car back into drive and pulled off the curb. "He is at the hospital."

"Who told you?"

Kyper pulled out a walkie talkie and set it to on the dashboard. "Lucas." Of course, it would be a kid. Kyper was good with children like really good. When he wasn't running the streets with the gang he was babysitting and yeah that sounds lame but no one would speak on it because they respected Kyper. Especially because he was probably such good friends with your little brother or sister.

"And which one is that?" I asked. Again like I said. Kyper knew a lot of kids.
"Will's friend." He said.