003

Today is Halloween and I caught wind by Kyper that there was going to be this sick party that basically the entire school would be attending

Today is Halloween and I caught wind by Kyper that there was going to be this sick party that basically the entire school would be attending. It would be selfish for me not to attend. You cant call it a party without Marley Thesail there. Party or not i was not dressing up. Halloween was just an excuse to get away with things under the cloak of the night with no consequences. Such as heist, pranks, and dressing up like a whore and drinking smokey red solo cups. I can dress up as a skimpy cat lady with hella eyeliner but I decided against it. The party is going to be great but over the top costumes were not my speed. Not my place of action. Some of the girls I knew were all too ready to lose themselves in the toxic punch bowls and raging dance floors while all I wanted was a drink and chocolate. I could go out like them and lose it, but this year I was just not in that type of mood. Last Halloween was a drag and I can't go and repeat that hell of the night over again.

Papa would never approve of these scandalous nights on Halloween anyway. To him, I was too young and good to risk it all in a skintight suit past curfew. There was a bad world out there and he wants me to have nothing to do with it.

I was going back and forth with Kyper over the landline.  A party tonight would be fun, but every year Kyper and I stayed at his place and watched horror movies together. We played board games and let each other be vulnerable for once. It was a way for us to bond, and unwind. Let loose of all our demons, and problems. God knows we have a lot of problems.

"Kyper, we do it every year! At this rate it's tradition." I complained combing my hair at my vanity.

Kyper scoffed. "Just this once? Please? We could always come back and be depressed together. Papa wouldn't mind. I'm sure he'd rather us inside tonight anyway."

Kyper was the safest out of us Gooneys and usually, he wouldn't mind staying home. For some reason this year he did not want to spend the night eating ourselves too sleep but rather drown himself in whatever strange drink would be present and dance wildly. "Fine we can check out the place and if it doesn't meet my standards we can surely leave." Kyper was breaking out of his shell. I should at least give him a chance.

I find myself being awfully nice around him. He is a bad influence, he is no good for me.

We came to an agreement and since I was all ready and prepared I decided I had to make up a lie for papa so he wouldn't get suspicious. Papa was a pretty understanding man but when it came to late-night parties with the company of the male kind. Not including Kyper, he was not very lenient.

I went downstairs with my socks padding across the carpet into the living room. Like always the house was lingering off the soft smell of bread or any type of pastry. Banana Bread preferably. My personal favorite.
Papa was reading a novel with his reading glasses and two slices of banana bread on the side. Reading a book + baked goods = good mood.

"Papa?" I asked sheepish and as innocent as my voice could possibly manifest.

There was a silence for a period of time. Possibly his old mind taking in more time to recognize my voice. "Yes, Marley?"